See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    PROs:
    - It's awesome

CONS:
    - I just laid out more cash than I ever have in my life on a set of Zeiss CP.2s and a PIX240... and I'm not sure how useful either of those will be with this:

qm.gifxzibit.jpg

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Con
    I don't have $3000 to drop on this camera anytime soon.

Pro
    With it being only $3000, I can probably rent one for the same prices as a 5DmkIII when I need to shoot a "film." Then continue to use my DSLR for all other less intensive shooting. As well as stills.

Sounds like a win win.

3. Collapse Details
    Can anyone confirm the black spot issue on brightness like RED had when they first came out. I know someone did mention this, but I would like someone to confirm. Thanks
    Philip Bloom Certified Cinematographer

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJITSU View Post
    Can anyone confirm the black spot issue on brightness like RED had when they first came out. I know someone did mention this, but I would like someone to confirm. Thanks
    Nobody can "confirm" anything until the actual product is shipping!

Yes John Brawley saw it in some of his shots, and yes he said that the company was aware of it and was working on it, and I think he said something on the order of that it's to be expected on a prototype at this stage. So don't worry about anything like that until there's an actual finished product in an end user's hands, and at that point we'll check to see how it performs.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJITSU View Post
    I had a RED ONE back when this happened and honestly it wasn't that big of a deal. It only happened in the sun and since the sun was clipped it was easy to fix in post, super easy actually. I had to do it 4 or 5 times and it literally took seconds to fix.

6. Collapse Details
    The biggest con I can think of at the moment is the wait!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Nobody can "confirm" anything until the actual product is shipping!

Yes John Brawley saw it in some of his shots, and yes he said that the company was aware of it and was working on it, and I think he said something on the order of that it's to be expected on a prototype at this stage. So don't worry about anything like that until there's an actual finished product in an end user's hands, and at that point we'll check to see how it performs.
    Thank you Barry!!
    Philip Bloom Certified Cinematographer

8. Collapse Details
    Anybody happy about having a headphone jack or 2 balanced audio ins?

How fast we forget about all the DSLR short comings.

9. Collapse Details
    CONS:

- Inbetween size sensor / EF mount:

Bigger than S16, but smaller than M43, APS-C or S35. This will imit your choices when it comes to wide angle glass. Yes, there are zooms like the Tonika 11-16, but there are a few drawbacks. First it's only f2.8, so you may have trouble matching the DOF of S35 (forget about vistavision / 5D razor thin DOF). We really need a few very fast wides in the 11mm - 17mm range @ f1.2 or f1.4. Then there are all of the usual still photo vs motion picture lens mechanical, optical and ergonomic issues, unless you buy a modified version like Duclos makes. Still lenses are not perfect for movie work, but you can get the job done if you really want to. I agree that the M43 mount would be best. It may as well be a universal mount.

- Rolling shutter:
    No one really knows how bad it is. Better then a DSLR? Same as the RED ONE? If you are shooting a drama or executing a more classic shooting style you're probably ok. If you are shooting a handheld action movie that looks like the camera was mounted on a paintmixer you're going to be in trouble. You may also be in trouble shooting at certain angles out of a helicopter, but how often do any of us really do that?

To me those are the only real issues.

Ergonomics? Far from perfect, but for $3000, who really gives a damn? I'll make it work.
    No HMI port? Not really a problem.
    Built in battery? Use an external. Yeah, it's going to be an ergonomic mess, but it will work and that is all that counts.
    Mac formated drives? So?

I could go on, but for me there are no real dealbreakers, unless the rolling shutter makes the camera unuseable for normal work (which I doubt is the case). It's a $3000 RAW camera, not an Alexa. Make it work, make your first film and then buy yourself a big rig. 10 years from now you'll be bragging about how you shot the project that made your career, with a jerry rigged BMCC that looked like a Rube Goldberg contraption.

10. Collapse Details
    The only con for me is there's currently no way of mounting Micro 4/3 lenses on it. I can deal with everything else about the camera, but I need to be able to use my Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95, SLR Magic 12mm f/1.6 and Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 lenses on it. With those lenses I can get very shallow depth of field on my GH2, so this should be no problem on the BMCC.

The main pros for me are:
    1. 2.5K RAW 12-bit
    2. 13 stops dynamic range
    3. on-board ProRes recording
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast