Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    I hammered them about that, I asked for a PCD3 (my name for a single-slot USB3 reader).
    Thanks. I'm sure your voice has at least little bit of weight with Panasonic. Maybe we'll see something in 2015, at least we'll have MicroP2 SD form factor cards next year.

To me the $2k price on a 3slot reader is a bitter pill b/c I got a FW800 CF reader for $40. Yeah $2k is much cheaper than a $10k VTR, but even the best P2 reader doesn't have nearly as many parts as a VTR.
    Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?

2. Collapse Details
    Barry,

Any chance Panasonic will come out with a lower cost HD-SDI P2 recorder? Considering the PIX 240, etc. 4,700 for the AG-HPG20 seems too high.
    http://vimeo.com/davidsmeltzer
    AVID Certified Instructor
    HVX-200, HPX370
    AF100 with Novoflex Nikon to micro 4/3:
    Metabones Speedbooster Nikon G to 4/3
    Various Nikon Lenses
    RedRock AF100 Mattebox and Follow Focus

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Dave View Post
    Barry,

Any chance Panasonic will come out with a lower cost HD-SDI P2 recorder? Considering the PIX 240, etc. 4,700 for the AG-HPG20 seems too high.
    Any chance? Sure there's a chance, but I don't know if/when. We lobbied quite heavily for it, especially the idea of a MicroP2 recorder that could be tiny.

The HPG20 does lots and lots of things besides recording, so it would seem to me that a simplified recorder would be a product that doesn't directly compete with the HPG20 and therefore should be explored as a new product.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by eheath View Post
    So what is better than p2? A raided memory card? that is now available in the size of an SD card? Seriously, p2 is the best media out right now, followed by SSD follows by CF followed by SD.
    Lots of current memory cards are multiple memory modules in a raid configuration. Back when P2 first came out they were the only ones, but not anymore. I would even venture to say most class 10 and up SD cards over 32 gig are raided and have some sort of error protection, same with the faster SSD's. Not 100% sure about CF cards, but I wouldn't doubt it. There is nothing special about P2 anymore.

5. Collapse Details
    I like P2 and hope it sticks around for a long time. I think the best solution to make it more competitive in the TV world is drop the price of the cards and YES, PROVIDE a cheaper reader. I know, preaching to the choir. I own P2 cards and a PCD2 reader. But because of the price of the cards and many clients chose to shoot on Sony. I personally like the Panasonic look better than Sony. But when they can record for longer with fewer cards it makes it less cost effective for me. My 2 cents.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    Can't even imagine what would make P2 "barbaric." Could be the ironclad reliability, I suppose.
    It is because P2 likes to see other solid state media driven before them, and hear the lamentations of the women and children.

arnold-schwarzenegger-workout-Conan.jpg
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

7. Collapse Details
    I like P2 as well. Would love to see more new cams use it.

8. Collapse Details
    it's harder to lose a P2 card... I'm always misplacing SD cards.
    Cameras: Panasonic HVX200 Letus35+Nikon F adapter, Redrock Matte-box, Zacuto rails / Panasonic DVX100b / GoProHERO(x3)
    Video Editors: Avid Media Composer
    DAW: ProTools HD

9. Collapse Details
    I'm about to upgrade to an HPX250 from an HMC150, and I'm really happy to be going to P2. Though it is disappointing I can't afford to transfer footage through firewire.

10. Collapse Details
    It seems barbaric when you place it next to a sleek SxS card which is much thinner than the P2...but it's also a lot younger than P2.

P2 is super reliable. I have had power shortages, been shocked by the camera and the card at times, given where I was on location. Static electricity is a joke for this card. I accidentally shocked an SD card when I was shooting some stills with a 5D, when I went to put into a card reader and the files become corrupted and distorted. P2 is a champ. I'm a little irked that there's a new Micro P2 format. Which will mean...none of my current P2 cards that I have could ever be used in say..the new 4k Vari-cam when that comes out...but we'll see if Panasonic is more generous about that possibility.

They may seem a bit archaic in their physical design, because they're not thin and super sleek like the relatively new SxS or SD cards.
    But why does the look and size of the card matter when you're shooting something? It's tucked away into the camera. I prefer a rugged recording medium that will certainly save all of my data, rather than have a 'cool' looking rig and accessories.

Unfortunately in the freelance / independent realms these days, people are getting caught up with the equipment that people own, rather than the quality, reliability and experience they can offer to clients. I have to tell people, in order to get hired, my camera specs and the type of editing machine I can bring to the table. Then they ask me about my experience level...shame really.
    Any opportunist could get into this game if they had the capital, but when the going gets tough, experience and reliability for those who know what they're doing will stand to the test..and will get them the next job. ;)

I just really hope Micro P2 is going to be backwards compatible with the current infrastructure that's in place.
    We're at the point now where we really need to stop worrying about the formats we record on. Apple invented ProRes and Panny the AVC-Codec. Both are damn impressive considering how far it's come from DVCProHD...I don't even want to get started with the frustrating XDCam.. Most productions finish to low bandwidth formats to broadcast anyways.

Focus on telling a better quality story and getting a better dynamic range and image quality from the camera...the formats that exist today can easily handle the high resolution and high speeds of the cameras already. How much true resolution does one need in order to feel fulfilled? The eye can't even register a full 4k image..

Please stop changing the formats every 5 years just to keep up with fashion statements.
    If Micro P2 is to be the new standard...i can't imagine what it should be in 10 years from now. It'll come to a point where the formats and card productions will plateau because they'll be able to transfer GigaBits of data within seconds. The climb for image superiority will still be in full force until the end of time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast