Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233
  1. Collapse Details
    Squig,
    Sorry I don't know you real name. I am sharing a screen grab of BTS. This is with a Canon 1D Mark IV. Are you looking for this kind of lighting. This BTS is done while I am filming with a Canon C300.
    Sabyasachi_20130114_300.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    I really wished Canon had used a better and more efficient codec than MJPEG, like maybe 4K ProRes or something...

Anyway the footage out so far looks pretty good except in some conditions where there is some posterization. If Sony ever read the posts on this forums, I hope they come out with a hybrid DSLR/Mirrorless rival to the 1D-C that records in 4K XAVC someday, something compact that still does high quality video.

3. Collapse Details
    http://www.refocusedmedia.com
    Film / Photography
    esse quam videri

4. Collapse Details
    Real dirty grading test I did with Bloom's footage.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam J McKay View Post
    Real dirty grading test I did with Bloom's footage.

Looks great !

6. Collapse Details
    (EDIT - 2013/DEC)

The downer would be price.... as with anything.

Though it is one of my favorite cameras today, there are some gripes.

At that price, it should have certain very basic features, but it doesn't so, while it has a very nice image, it is just another dslr, at the end of day. Actually, the features it is missing start at way lower price points.

We are not talking about edge of the universe features. We are talking about the incredibly powerful and important zebras and waveforms. Those two features alone would cover most of the complaints, then people would go back to saying how eight bits and mjpeg have compression and banding.

For me, I knew I was buying an 8bit dslr, but I didn't know that I would like the camera. Yes, I thought I wouldn't like it. But it turned out to be one of my favorites. Initial shooting looked woefully dslr-ish. Which is not all bad, but reminded me of the d7000. Nasty highlights. Then, I tried C-LOG! and it became a more polished animal. As I started dialing in a sense of strengths and weaknesses, I realized it was an awkward child. Lovely image if you can hit the exposure juuuuust right. The problem is... There are no live exposure tools, so exposure is a Jedi thing, unless you get to control the entire scene. And if you can control the entire scene, then it really doesn't matter whether you use gh3, red, canon, or bmc. So, if it had exposure tools built in, it would be a contender. But as it is, it is almost like a film camera, but unlike film, latitude is not as flexible, it is 8bit, and so just not an organic aesthetic.

(edit, let me explain what I mean by getting exposure 'just right': With 11+stops DR, there is room for latitude. But the blow out is still digital looking. Not as graceful as Red or Alexa. So, staying in those limits is more crucial than it would be with film or other cinema cameras. But it is still very noticeably better than the 5d3 or 1DX. C-log has no shadows, and I used to run into issues with that, because I was accustomed to underexposing digital. You cannot underexpose C-log. In 4k, the MjPEG is much funner to play with than the FF35 IPB, still not as flexible as jpeg, and not anything like raw. The 8bit tonality on the ~12stops of DR does not kill the image, but it is occasionally noticeable. So, while overall it is a lovely image with grace, if you don't get things exactly right, then it feels like a 5dmk3. A touch of over exposure can mess up the skin, and underexposing in c-log is not an option. And if your WB is slightly of, it is more difficult to play with than raw. I would have litte to complain about if the camera had built in exposure tools, like live waveforms, or even just zebras. as getting good exposure wouldn't need light meters, frankenriggs, or guess work.)

The thing is weather sealed, but no evf or other video accessories are weather sealed. So that feature is a mixed bag. What good is weather sealed if the all important accs for gauging exposure are not?

So, there is a 2:3 screen on the back, black bars in video mode. Just put the video at top and have waveforms in the unused space? Maybe add zebras. Not a revolutionary idea, and hopefully not too tall an order.

Some other benefits, which seemed really exciting, like "C user presets", turns out you have to exit live view to change them. Not so bad, but I thought it was going to be amazing, and turned out to be rather plain. Still a useful time saver, just not a one step process anymore. The C modes are still faster than other video cameras, but i was hoping it would be an instant way to change white balance and ISO. But I end up doing it manually rather than using c presets because the exit and the pulling the camera off my shoulder to see what mode I am dialing, and then slinging the rig back up, is more of a hassle. Yeah, there is no visual information on the back to see what mode you are switching to. You have to look on the top of the camera in the LCD on top of the grip.

So, all those 1dx features hardly translate into the video side. And there is no specifically video functions added besides the video resolutions either. The 1dx image is nice, but take away Raw, compress the hell out the jpegs, and reduce the resolution to a blurry 8mp, take away all of the features and there are plenty of cameras that, well, let's just say the standards have changed.

Some of the nice features that do apply to the video...
    Base image quality (ofcourse not raw, and not 18mp, and not hq jpeg) but the rich color, 11+ stops Dr and low noise are there, and remain a desirable look.
    The well thought out right hand controls. Not customizable for video users in mind yet, but the basic functions are easy and fast.
    Sturdy build, but I still broke mine already. My 60d which I abused more, never broke. Soo... Not exactly sure where I stand, but the 1d is definitely more hard core.

Where the 1dc is better than other 4k cameras is mobility, no fan noise, and low light. (but has a mirror slap when engaging video. hate the mirror slap noise in video.)

Makes a perfect tool for those that back pack and are on the move, and have the time to get things wrong or right, depending on what comes first. Not really for the image connoiseur, as 8bit and compression don't do any favors these days, unless you are going straight to a broadcast codec, in which it is saving you time, but the 1dc doesn't have a broadcast ready codec (though, it is approved for broadcast, there is still transcoding to a new codec before going to 'air').

The 1dc is not an cinema grade A-cam, but it could totally get away with it in a pinch. But you saw 'The Ticket' (that short film is basically a good representation of the 1dc look). And seems too expensive and jello prone to be a good crash cam.

The lack of key and basic features makes the camera merely likeable. Which when using something for work doesn't quite cut it. Long passed is 2010 when improperly exposed 5d foootage still wowed, because there was bokeh.

I like the 1dc. Is that enough for you?
    Last edited by James0b57; 12-24-2013 at 10:45 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    I figured I should update this, since now I have had a good 6months with the 1D-C.

Here is some footage I shot over the Summer. Hopefully many have seen what can be achieved with this camera by true pros. There is a wide range of material here, some under exposed shots from when I was new to c-log. Some low light. Some clipped highlights. Some mixed light. Some funky white balance. And so on. Most of it has had a mild curves adjust, and some of it more, but the original c-log shines through. I always prefer these more raw and uncontrolled settings.
    Last edited by James0b57; 11-21-2013 at 10:16 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    The 1D-C, despite everything is perhaps the most addictive camera I have ever owned. Goes anywhere, superb low light. The only thing that keeps me from shooting more is hard drive space. I do believe at the price level it should have 10bit video, or higher, and there could be a few more improvements in firmware for video users.

Canon customer service has been good. Cinema help policy is still a bit less transparent than would be ideal, but nothing against the people, all nice people.
    Last edited by James0b57; 01-15-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233