Thread: NAB 2012 Recap

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thank you for all the info!
    CKSUNNY.COM

2. Collapse Details
    That was an awesome post, good info. Though don't mean to bug but were those cameras the only ones worth mentioning?

3. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Hmmm…were those cameras the only ones worth mentioning?

It's hard to say for sure, since it depends on what your personal interest might be. But I'll try to surf back through the haze to touch briefly on other things that were seen at NAB…

In the broadcast-cam arena, I have to say the new Panasonic HPX-600 looks pretty frickin' sweet. And if you're in the market for a shoulder-mounted broadcast camera, I don't know if you could do any better than the 600. For smaller-footprint shooting, the updated Panny 130, 160 and 255 models look to be great values as well.

The JVC 4K "palmcorder" is an interesting idea, but it's JVC, and I have an awfully hard time trusting it to not be a complete train wreck.

One camera we heard about that wasn't at the show (I don't think) was the new Aaton Cinema Camera, and chances are if this camera in any way fits your needs, you already know about it. Global shutter. Massive dynamic range. And a price tag to match, no doubt. But this technology should, over time, find its way down the price ladder into cameras more of us owner/operators can afford. We'll revisit that at NAB 2016.

Beyond those cameras, and the ones already mentioned above, there just wasn't anything that caught our eye. And while it's been said many times, it bears repeating…the camera is no longer the barrier to expressing your creativity. Anyone, at any price point, can find a camera that will help them tell the story they see in their mind. Pick the one that fits your needs, and get out and shoot it up.
    Stephen Mick
    Creative Director
    UPG Video

Check out the DVXUser Facebook page at…https://www.facebook.com/dvxuser
    And the DVXUser Vimeo Channel at…https://vimeo.com/channels/558731

4. Collapse Details
    Great stuff...and most appreciated... thanks guys!

5. Collapse Details
    Nice info. Thanks for sharing.

6. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Thank you, Stephen for a fantastic write-up. Just got back from a trip, and thought "wouldn't it be nice if I could read a nice summary of the notable stuff at NAB this year?" I click on over to dvxuser, and this splendid thing comes up - THANK YOU a million times! For those of us who couldn't be there - you're a lifesaver!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
    Beyond those cameras, and the ones already mentioned above, there just wasn't anything that caught our eye. And while it's been said many times, it bears repeating…the camera is no longer the barrier to expressing your creativity. Anyone, at any price point, can find a camera that will help them tell the story they see in their mind. Pick the one that fits your needs, and get out and shoot it up.
    Agreed 1 million percent.

And to be fair, like Stephen already mentioned, our updates and posts are really a highlight of the things that caught our interest... and that we thought would be of interest to the members here.
    For those of you who have never been to NAB, imagine how big you think it is... and them multiply that a few times over.

I'm just now hearing about a few things that I wish we'd gotten a chance to see.

As far as cameras go - the options are mindboggling - but I feel the ones we mentioned are the ones that had the most 'buzz' at the show.
    No question that 4K was the theme of this year (and raw to a slightly lesser extent).
    3D was still there, but nowhere near as prominent as it was last year.

There's a lesson to be taken away there though - it's easy to get swept up in the hype of NAB (especially when you're there).
    When we left last year I was thinking "wow, by this time next year everything is going to be done in 3D."
    Fast forward to a year later... and yes, 3D is definitely here in the highend... but only the high-highend. It's far from established as a norm.

This year I left NAB thinking "wow, by this time next year everything is going to be done in 4K."

Point is - Stephen is right. With so many options out there the one thing that is absolutely true is that there are zero excuses left for anyone who wants to create content.
    Tools are fun, and they can make our job easier.... but at the end of the day you just need to get out there and shoot something.

Gear is only valuable if it gets put to use.

8. Collapse Details
    Nice Report!

9. Collapse Details
    Great summary! Thanks so much!

10. Collapse Details
    Nice work. If you want to sit down for a redux at the shop I'll be sure to shoot it on the Sony PMW100 and the JVC GY-HM650.
    ;)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast