Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Furtado View Post
    Yeah, this whole blackmagic camera sorta reminds me of the digital bolex camera too. There's a term for the bolex though..vapor ware!

It's astonishes me that people think a camera can be just engineered by a bunch a people who know NOTHING about cameras. There's a reason why there's only a handful of real manufacturers: Sony, Panasonic, Canon, JVC, etc. It's because it takes precission engineering and complex circuitry, filmware, sensors, compression algorithms, housings..etc. This isn't something intended to be whipped up in your garage or at a small company.

I love camera tech. But I don't think i'd plunk down my hard earned cash on something that has ABSOLUTELY NO TRACK RECORD like the BM Camera or the Digital Bolex. For those of us like Phillip Bloom who have cash to burn and blogs to write, sure, this seems like fun. I'm busy trying to work as much as I can and create art.

It comes down to this: Does an artist need a $1000 paint brush to create art? Can he just NOT create great art without that $1000 paint brush? I'm sure many great artists created masterpieces in the past with a $1 brush.
    While this is BM's first camera, I have to say they are coming into this segment of the market with a lot more behind them than the Bolex guys. This camera seems to be them leveraging their experience with data acquisition and colour correction.

They already have solid state recorders with the Hyperdecks, the best colour grading software in DaVinci, camera monitoring software with Ultrascope and their own production lines. The only puzzle piece they're missing in making a camera is a good sensor that puts out RAW data and that's exactly what they've done. In retrospect I think this is a great business move out of nowhere and now they have an exceedingly good shot at winning people over to their philosophy. Great way to put their name on the map.

2. Collapse Details
    The new Blackmagic Design camera has already picked up a huge Fanboy base before it's release much like the Red Scarlet camera did, with people putting down money before a fully functioning camera has even been released. I must admit that I am intrigued, but I would never put down my hard earned cash for a camera without testing it first. I would really hate to pay for a camera only to be a Beta tester, much in the same way that Scarlet owners are now, without full functionality & dealing with issues.

All the Best!

Dave
    David W. Jones
    www.joneshdfilms.com

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarkham View Post
    I dig the mirokopter! .. Great piece of gear .. but you're not going be taking any audio off of that camera mount :-)

Ok .. let's eliminate one audio possibility .. the camera AF100 mics .. don't use 'em . unless you've got some kind of TMZ thing
    going on in front of you.

Shotgun mounts on cameras have always puzzled me .. unless you're doing interviews close to the subject, the
    microphone often wants to be much closer to the subject(s) than the camera does. Hence, the boom.

In film/movies .. we want to hear the subjects speaking as if we were very close to them . while the shot the cinematographer
    has chosen is quite a bit aways.

Hence the dichotomy of sound vs. visual.

So .. I recommend a dual-utility shotgun mic that can be camera mounted .. but also has the polar rejection characteristics necessary to be
    a boom mounted shotgun mic.

Don't want to give you buyer's remorse .. but the mic-level pre-amp on the AF100 ... well .. it sucks (at least to my ears). The camera
    is much happier being driven line-level .. which may suggest an off-camrea pre-amp.

But, before you go here .. rent/borrow/steal a shotgun mic and listen to see if the AF100 & mic are giving you what you want.

hope that helps,
    jeff
    Yes, that helps. There aren't too many options for rental on our island. There is one video professional whose brain I can pick and who might help with rental or a loan of some sound equipment. I'll certainly do some more homework.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Inveresk View Post
    Yes, that helps. There aren't too many options for rental on our island. There is one video professional whose brain I can pick and who might help with rental or a loan of some sound equipment. I'll certainly do some more homework.
    The workhorse is the Sennheiser 416 .. you can often find them on Craigslist/Ebay. Just get the 48V phantom instead of
    the T powered ones. For durability and immunity to humidity, the Rode NTG-3 is a good mic.

jeff
    On The Mark Media
    http://otm-rentals.com
    "Bokeh Schmokeh ... look at the girl!"

5. Collapse Details
    I spent some time with Blackmagic at NAB talking about this cinema camera and I's a very different approach to making a camera. They came at it in the other direction not following the other companies already in this space. The camera was designed for grading with DaVinci Resolve. It's not just thrown in as an incentive to purchase the camera. The uncompressed RAW file is the key to this camera. 13 stops of dynamic range is sweet. Edit in your favorite NLE then grade it with Resolve. Don't forget it comes with UltraScope software as well that cost $660 if purchased separate. Saw that in action and it looks good.

EF lenses electronic iris work without any adapter. I hope a PL mount or PL adapter will be offered.

Built in SSD drive. That is crazy cool! No external recorder needed.

I want to try this camera out badly. Sure it isn't perfect but the direction its going in is brilliant.

The internal battery is odd but I have a feeling a grip will come out for it with a battery compartment.

So Blackmagic takes products they already have and added it this camera instead of following the path of the other guys. I think this is a very innovative approach and they should be commend for it. They also are'nt hammering us with a high price.

I want to try this camera badly!
    FOR SALE - Sennheiser Evolution G2 Wireless

My Videos On Vimeo
    http://www.vimeo.com/eriknaso
    Twitter: ErikNaso
    Blog www.eriknaso.com
    Cams: C100, C300, 70D & anything else I can get my hands on.
    Lenses: More than my wife knows. ssshhh....

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    I would really hate to pay for a camera only to be a Beta tester, much in the same way that Scarlet owners are now, without full functionality & dealing with issues.

All the Best!

Dave
    Funny my Scarlet is rock solid and doesnt have any features "disabled".
    Matt Gottshalk - Dp/Editor
    McGee Digital Media

EPIC-X #00740 "Decker"
    Duclos 11-16mm
    RPZ 17-50mm
    Red 50-150mm
    Panasonic HPX-250
    Canon C100 and Ninja 2 recorder
    Nikon D800

7. Collapse Details
    The AF100 is a perfectly fine camera packed with features to make professional videos for all sorts of applications. You made a fine choice with this camera over the gh2 if you plan on shooting interviews and need sound recording. Built in ND's are the best part. For under the $4000 mark, I really can't think of a more feature packed proven video camera with a large sensor.
    If you come back at me with the gh2, I'm gonna reply that the color and image controls just don't stand a chance against the AF100. Then add sound, waveform, ND, 1080/60p, and overall build.
    Fine choice OP. Fine choice.

8. Collapse Details
    re mics, check out the stickies in that forum. there is great info about gear there. All the best with your AF100!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    Funny my Scarlet is rock solid and doesnt have any features "disabled".
    Ours seems to be hanging in there too.
    On The Mark Media
    http://otm-rentals.com
    "Bokeh Schmokeh ... look at the girl!"

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dustylense View Post
    The AF100 is a perfectly fine camera packed with features to make professional videos for all sorts of applications. You made a fine choice with this camera over the gh2 if you plan on shooting interviews and need sound recording. Built in ND's are the best part. For under the $4000 mark, I really can't think of a more feature packed proven video camera with a large sensor.
    If you come back at me with the gh2, I'm gonna reply that the color and image controls just don't stand a chance against the AF100. Then add sound, waveform, ND, 1080/60p, and overall build.
    Fine choice OP. Fine choice.
    tell me, should i sell my af100 or keep it along with the BMC?
    I love the af100 when it comes to its flexibility (everything you said) but i wouldnt mind turning it to cash either :\

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast