Page 158 of 169 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1688
  1. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
    Pretty strong rumors indicate that new MBAs and a smaller sized MacBook Pro (ala Air size) will ship with the next few weeks.

Question becomes whether the slimmer MBP will use the integrated Intel 4000 graphic chip, or a discrete graphic chip, and of course, what resolutions will be supported.

Rumor further has it the MBP slim will incorporate the retina display capabilities of the iPad 3.
    I may be investing in one of the tiny MacBook Pros... ugh.. but it sounds like it's about time.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jabloomf1230 View Post
    Maybe I should have explained why I personally don't directly edit from the same SSD that would be in either a recorder or the camera. SSDs are quiet, fast and have no moving parts. They are generally considered to be reliable, especially the high end enterprise SSDs. But SSDs have now been in widespread use on the desktop for about two years. One thing that has been noticed is that they do fail and when that happens, they often go into a pre-programmed "panic mode", rendering the SSD useless.

The camera's SSD will be constantly and completely written and rewritten, unless you want to buy a bushel of SSDs. Given that, a heavily used SSD is far more likely to fail than a drive (either SSD or HDD) in your laptop or desktop that is just used for storage or editing. One of my workstations used an SSD as its Windows 7 boot drive and after approximately 16 months, it began to fail with BSODs. After searching the Internet, I found that the problem was not a rarity. Suit yourself, but that's my advice.
    Good point. I think SSD tech. is still new enough that we are still in a learning process regarding it.
    Jim Evans

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
    Pretty strong rumors indicate that new MBAs and a smaller sized MacBook Pro (ala Air size) will ship with the next few weeks.

Question becomes whether the slimmer MBP will use the integrated Intel 4000 graphic chip, or a discrete graphic chip, and of course, what resolutions will be supported.

Rumor further has it the MBP slim will incorporate the retina display capabilities of the iPad 3.
    But where are the Mac Pro's with Thunderbolt? I've been waiting almost a year for those.

4. Collapse Details
    MacPros with thunderbolt?

Who knows whether they will be released or not.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

5. Collapse Details
    As has been repeatedly stated in this thread, do not post links or embed videos related to Hitler parodies.

They will be deleted.

Thanks.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

6. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    I can't be arsed dealing with raw footage, so I've got an even better idea - shoot ProRes to one large SSD and don't worry about offloading any footage until the end of the day.
    Perfect disaster recipe.
    If the drive acts up ( and yeah, just because they have no moving parts, that doesnīt mean they donīt fail) you loose a complete day of material.

If you shoot your friends skateboarding, that might not be that big of a problem, but if you are on a set wit actors and all.....
    I might be a bit paranoid, but I change my media after every scene. I buy only small drives and SD cards because of that.
    I donīt understand the problem of swapping out media (as long as you donīt shoot concerts - but thatīs an other story) - it just a matter of seconds.

So whatīs the point?

A lot of folks think, all they need is a Mac Laptop and Resolve and that they can download the footy via Thunderbolt from the camera on the Laptop and start editing.
    Technically that can be done, but its no fun.
    Resolve is a GPU hog and to have it run smooth, you need two macho Nvidia graphic cards and a quad i7 processor in a desktop workstation.
    Also dumping the files from the camera - your slowest drive is the bottleneck. So be prepared to buy a Thunderbolt RAID system.
    Last edited by Postmaster; 04-20-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

7. Collapse Details
    Finally, BM Cinema Camera available for pre-order now !
    Alex
    http://DataBoss.me - the easiest way to save, then easily find your data (photos, videos, any data) without tagging every file

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Postmaster View Post
    Perfect disaster recipe.
    If the drive acts up ( and yeah, just because they have no moving parts, that doesnīt mean they donīt fail) you loose a complete day of material.

If you shoot your friends skateboarding, that might not be that big of a problem, but if you are on a set wit actors and all.....
    I might be a bit paranoid, but I change my media after every scene. I buy only small drives and SD cards because of that.
    I donīt understand the problem of swapping out media (as long as you donīt shoot concerts - but thatīs an other story) - it just a matter of seconds.

So whatīs the point?

A lot of folks think, all they need is a Mac Laptop and Resolve and that they can download the footy via Thunderbolt from the camera on the Laptop and start editing.
    Technically that can be done, but its no fun.
    Resolve is a GPU hog and to have it run smooth, you need to macho graphic cards and a quad i7 processor in a desktop workstation.
    Also dumping the files from the camera - your slowest drive is the bottleneck. So be prepared to buy a Thunderbolt RAID system.
    One thing that I think has been totally overlooked so far is the need for proper archiving. Storing the massive amounts of data that this camera will generate is not trivial. You are asking for problems if you archive your material to hard disk. The only reliable long term storage at present is LTO-5 tape (HP tape is rated at 30 year lifespan). If you are on the Mac, the best backup software is Bru PE http://www.tolisgroup.com/home.php

Although LTO drives are expensive, they are well worth the piece of mind. After taking so much time, effort & care with our projects it seems insane to risk anything less. Also, once you have the drive, the price of the tapes per GB of storage is pretty economical.

Adam

9. Collapse Details
    Since this is the most popular thread, FYI:

B&H taking pre-orders now:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...MA_CAMERA.html

As are the handles:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...a_Handles.html
    http://www.refocusedmedia.com
    Film / Photography
    esse quam videri

10. Collapse Details

and don't offload, edit from the SSD

No?

Maybe I should have explained why I personally don't directly edit from the same SSD that would be in either a recorder or the camera. SSDs are quiet, fast and have no moving parts. They are generally considered to be reliable, especially the high end enterprise SSDs. But SSDs have now been in widespread use on the desktop for about two years. One thing that has been noticed is that they do fail and when that happens, they often go into a pre-programmed "panic mode", rendering the SSD useless.

The camera's SSD will be constantly and completely written and rewritten, unless you want to buy a bushel of SSDs. Given that, a heavily used SSD is far more likely to fail than a drive (either SSD or HDD) in your laptop or desktop that is just used for storage or editing. One of my workstations used an SSD as its Windows 7 boot drive and after approximately 16 months, it began to fail with BSODs. After searching the Internet, I found that the problem was not a rarity. Suit yourself, but that's my advice.
    but I change my media after every scene. I buy only small drives and SD cards because of that.
    The only reliable long term storage at present is LTO-5 tape (HP tape is rated at 30 year lifespan). If you are on the Mac, the best backup software is Bru PEhttp://www.tolisgroup.com/home.php
    Thank's for the advices

Page 158 of 169 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162168 ... LastLast