Page 157 of 169 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 1688
  1. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    and don't offload, edit from the SSD

No?
    Theoretically, yes actually. Shouldn't be much reason why you couldn't plug the camera into the wall, thunderbolt out and cut directly from the drive. Not sure how efficiently it would work with CinemaDNG files but ProRes etc? Should totally work.
    Comet Color Page
    Allow me: fanboy of great images.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    I've had issues with Windows and a RED Station (Mag offloader), as well. Same kind of thing, restart to fix it. Mac, no issue. Not sure how MacDrive will work with it...
    yeah. One of windows ugly problems - this is on win 7-64. And their on to win 8 now? sheesh .
    You can check in any time you like.................but .................

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Ive used these, and usb 3 versions . The Danger is, when you plug in a drive, windows may not read it correctly!

Then windows asks DO YOU WANT TO FORMAT THIS DRIVE! WTF?!

Immediately power down, then reboot to attempt to fix this. usually a boot, or two, will get it to read. Its tempting at first to try and fiddle with the screens, this can brick the drive. { or lose all data}

Thats my experience,__ not sure how macdrive will complicate this scenario. { I guess its a windows
    problem? Maybe somebody knows? }
    I have had a Shuttle2 for a very short time and using MacDrive allows me to view and manipulate the drive any time it is plugged directly (via an external SSD dock). MacDrive also formats the SSD properly for me by selecting the Format Drive option. Using MacDrive is very seamless and transparent and it was only $50.00.

If you don't have MacDrive installed, as it sounds from your problem description, Windows is just not recognizing the Mac format and thinks the drive is blank and unformatted. MacDrive eliminates this problem completely for me.
    Jim Evans

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmasmp View Post
    I wouldn't get a USB based external drive holder, I would get an eSATA model like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817392022
    Most of the recent SATA docks have all 3 interfaces (Firewire, USB 3 and eSATA). If you go with USB3 (which is more than adequate for transferring large files), your motherboard (or add on PCIe USB3 card) must provide enough power through the USB port or the dock will drop down to USB 2 speeds.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    I have had a Shuttle2 for a very short time and using MacDrive allows me to view and manipulate the drive any time it is plugged directly (via an external SSD dock). MacDrive also formats the SSD properly for me by selecting the Format Drive option. Using MacDrive is very seamless and transparent and it was only $50.00.

If you don't have MacDrive installed, as it sounds from your problem description, Windows is just not recognizing the Mac format and thinks the drive is blank and unformatted. MacDrive eliminates this problem completely for me.
    I think you misunderstand. I havent used macdrive yet. Windows is not properly reading the WINDOWS formatted drive.
    You can check in any time you like.................but .................

6. Collapse Details
    How would a Macbook Air with the 1.7 i5s run Ultrascopes? I was looking at the website and it has a resolution minimum but I did not see a hardware min? While looking I didnt find any requirements for Resolve either? Looking at a new laptop when I get this badboy. My 2008 17'' MBP doesn't have thunderbolt and I wouldnt mind having a lighter smaller machine

7. Collapse Details
    Ive used these, and usb 3 versions . The Danger is, when you plug in a drive, windows may not read it correctly!

Then windows asks DO YOU WANT TO FORMAT THIS DRIVE! WTF?!

Immediately power down, then reboot to attempt to fix this. usually a boot, or two, will get it to read. Its tempting at first to try and fiddle with the screens, this can brick the drive. { or lose all data}

Thats my experience,__ not sure how macdrive will complicate this scenario. { I guess its a windows
    problem? Maybe somebody knows? }
    I think you misunderstand. I havent used macdrive yet. Windows is not properly reading the WINDOWS formatted drive.
    Sorry. I did misunderstand.
    Jim Evans

8. Collapse Details
    Macdrive works amazing on my pc too- I can easily go back and forth from Mac-pc no issues.
    Hunter Hampton
    hunterismyfriend.com
    vimeo.com/hunter

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
    How would a Macbook Air with the 1.7 i5s run Ultrascopes? I was looking at the website and it has a resolution minimum but I did not see a hardware min? While looking I didnt find any requirements for Resolve either? Looking at a new laptop when I get this badboy. My 2008 17'' MBP doesn't have thunderbolt and I wouldnt mind having a lighter smaller machine
    Pretty strong rumors indicate that new MBAs and a smaller sized MacBook Pro (ala Air size) will ship with the next few weeks.

Question becomes whether the slimmer MBP will use the integrated Intel 4000 graphic chip, or a discrete graphic chip, and of course, what resolutions will be supported.

Rumor further has it the MBP slim will incorporate the retina display capabilities of the iPad 3.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    and don't offload, edit from the SSD

No?
    Maybe I should have explained why I personally don't directly edit from the same SSD that would be in either a recorder or the camera. SSDs are quiet, fast and have no moving parts. They are generally considered to be reliable, especially the high end enterprise SSDs. But SSDs have now been in widespread use on the desktop for about two years. One thing that has been noticed is that they do fail and when that happens, they often go into a pre-programmed "panic mode", rendering the SSD useless.

The camera's SSD will be constantly and completely written and rewritten, unless you want to buy a bushel of SSDs. Given that, a heavily used SSD is far more likely to fail than a drive (either SSD or HDD) in your laptop or desktop that is just used for storage or editing. One of my workstations used an SSD as its Windows 7 boot drive and after approximately 16 months, it began to fail with BSODs. After searching the Internet, I found that the problem was not a rarity. Suit yourself, but that's my advice.

Page 157 of 169 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161167 ... LastLast