1. Collapse Details
    Color shift problem with use ND's and wider apertures
    Exclamation
    I have e a DVX100b...been using it for about 5 years now...never any problems...fantastic cam.. Within the last two weeks I ran into a odd "color shift" in the greens- where they are taking on a "brownish yellow cast"...with some magenta in there. I don't have a problem typically with apertures over 5.6 for example with any combination of ND's...either in cam or external. The problem occurs when I have a .6 and a .3 ND in the matte box and start to open up from say 4.8 to OPEN...which are stops I use for certain rack focus moves. I've included a side by side low rez image shows image with and without problem...and was taken with sun behind me about 4:00. Any help, comments, advice would be much appreciated...I'm shooting production right now, and would like to figure this out asap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Collapse Details
    SO white balance isnt in the mix of this at all insofar theyre all using the same WB?
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

3. Collapse Details
    I was using the 56k preset both times it happened...and tried a manual white balance...same result

4. Collapse Details
    Have you tested the 0.3 ND for color shift? Tried it on another camera? Just to be sure.

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Looks like IR contamination. Depending on the strength of the particular camera's on-sensor IR filter, an additional IR or "hot mirror" filter is needed when using ND above .9-1.5 or you will get magenta hues in the shadows/blacks. This is standard practice with all digital cinema cameras.

6. Collapse Details
    Will look into IR issue...in interim...read other postings elsewhere about similar issues with "ND filter stacking"

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by brandtb View Post
    I was using the 56k preset both times it happened...and tried a manual white balance...same result
    How far apart in time were the shots? Daylight changes constantly; a constant white balance may produce differences like this. Then, of course, a manual white balance will give you a totally different result?
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

8. Collapse Details
    the two images were taken about 20 seconds apart.

9. Collapse Details
    I've just started to look into various "hot mirror" filters...don't have time to exhaustively research these. Can anyone recommend dependable brands/types that are "not going to break the bank"...with the understanding that sometime you obviously pay for what you get.