Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I hate relying on the weather, but sometimes you have to. What are you shooting on? I shot a S16 short late last year and we had major weather issues. As it rained for almost exactly 50% of our shooting time, and was essentially sunny for the rest, whilst we were in the middle of the rain, I talked to the Director about getting a safety shot to explain the sudden rain. The way it was scheduled happened to work out so that the first half of the film was shot in sun, and the second half in rain. At the halfway point of the film, there's a scene where a couple is arguing in the car and they get pulled over by a cop. The (probably cliche) shot that we got for a safety in case we needed to explain the rain was a shot of the female looking out the window of the stopped car as rain starts to fall on the window. We achieved this by setting up the camera (with a whole bunch of umbrellas and floppies rigged above the camera to keep it dry) to shot a close up of the window. The focus was on her, and we had someone holding an umbrella above the car window keeping it dry. As we pulled focus to the window, the umbrella was pulled away and drops started to fall onto the car window. It was a spur of the moment shot that we discussed and got in abotu 20 minutes, but it worked exactly as we wanted.
    You can't tell at all that there's an umbrella above the car window, there's no lighting change at all. We did use a lighter coloured umbrella, not a black one and it was very overcast so the lighting was very even.

That said, it would be better to create it yoruself as relying on the weather is not a great thing to do (although in my hometown it's much worse as it can be sunny and 27 celsius one minute and overcast, rainy and 16 celsius the net)

2. Collapse Details
    Some very good advice given here. Since you are a one man band, place the camera on tripod with the actress already positioned. Stand on top of your car and start your spraying water on her to your hearts content, using some of the suggestions given by others. The umbrella suggestion of Jax_rox is good. There are many many ways.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12