Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PappasArts View Post
    Has anyone got this camera and filmed with it yet?
    I have been recording (mostly Renaissance Fairs) with my new JVC HMQ10 for three weeks now. I've posted detailed impressions and some very short samples on an AVS Forum thread.

To summarize, I like the camera. It is a bit insensitive to light so it's not a great indoor camera without extra lighting, but is very sharp. When I look at one of its four HD quadrants (I don't yet have a 4K TV), it still looks sharp. JVC limited the aperture range of the lens to keep the image sharp.

It records 64GB/hour. I recorded almost two hours today that is going to take four hours to upload to my PC. It could be worse ... Sony's 4K F65 records 1TB/hour!
    Last edited by dwhite601; 04-29-2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags

2. Collapse Details
    dwite, I've been following your posts on the avs forum. It sounds like you're having fun exploring this little gem. I wouldn't mind owning one myself, as I love the idea of capturing 4K video, even though I have absolutely no need to do so. I could use the 1080 mode just fine for my clients. But, that means I'd have to sell my FS100, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that just yet.
    But I did buy its little Falconbrid brother, the PX10. I want to try the 300fps mode.

3. Collapse Details
    Hi dwhite,

Well, I have bravely joined you as one of the first users of the HMQ10. I shoot HD documentaries and am very excited to use this 'low cost' solution for 4k acquisition.

Quick question for you as I have not received mine yet - do not see this listed in the literature - is there a manual iris control on the camera? And if so how do you adjust it?

Have you tested it using high quality ND filters yet to see if there is any reduction in sharpness?

Found this blog post today that perfectly states the benefit of 4k over 3D (and I was a BIG proponent of 3D, producing the first full-HD 3D documentaries in my field).

http://www.fstopacademy.com/blog/wil...t-seems-likely

And here is what I replied regarding this:

Den,
    Great post, exactly my thoughts. I produce HD documentaries and was the first to ever shoot my genre in HD. After nearly 5 years with my trusty (and loved) XH-A1, I have been looking to upgrade. I'm a resolution and detail freak, and for my purposes clearer (higher) resolution is more important than having the artistic shallow DOF effect so popular today.

So, after much consideration (and watching Phillip Bloom's great comparisons) of the FS100, hacked GH2, F3, etc., I finally pulled the trigger and got the little JVC HMQ10. This was done after about a week of taking the 4 native sample files that have been posted and running them through my editing process to make sure that I could adequately produce HD content now from the 4k files. I am able to just fine (after a lot of testing), and this is using old Premiere Pro 3.01 on an XP64 system!

Note - I am also eagerly awaiting the FS700 but like others really need to know exactly WHEN and how much the 4k upgrade will be.

One thing that is very important that needs to be mentioned - for some reason, content that is shot in 4k and then downscaled to 1920x1080p looks MUCH better than content originally shot in 1080p. I don't know why, but I remember the same effect when HD was first coming out around 2000 - the DVD version of a Peter Frampton live concert looked much better than most DVDs of the time, and I realized it was because it was shot in HD and then (carefully) downscaled.

1080p, and even 720p, downscaled content from the HMQ10 looks GREAT, especially at 60p. I hate 24p (especially with active and moving subjects as I shoot) so I have not tested with that. But a 1080/60p downscaled clip from those test files looks great. Of course, need to test how it looks when not on a tripod as mentioned above. Camera movement/shake may become much more of an issue because of the greater detail.

This may be a camera with some compromises (needing more light, no ND filter, best on a tripod, limited sweet spot of F-stop range), but I am more than willing to take those for the amazing image it puts out. It's simply in a different league than ANY current 1080p camera, including the C300 and F3. Those may have much better dynamic range, low light sensitivity, interchangeable lenses, etc., but there is something about the detail in a 4k image that just draws you in. As you said, just as enveloping as a 3D image - maybe more - without the viewer fatigue.

4. Collapse Details
    Congratulations. It's a great little camera. As for the manual overrides, they are all there but not quite as convenient as on a larger camera. The iris and shutter share a small wheel forward of the two toggle switches. The procedure is to set the camera's overall mode to manual and press the Iris button. An Iris display appears on the monitor and the little wheel controls the value. Press Set to lock that value in or press Iris a second time to return to auto. The shutter speed is set by a similar method. Gain and white balance is set by presetting values for the three toggle button positions. I have my gain set to 0db, 9db, and AGC. My white balance toggles are set to Auto(FAW), 5200k, and 'A'.

The iris range is quite small 2.8 to 5 something, so you'll need neutral density filters to avoid high shutter speeds. I plan on getting some soon. When the light diminishes, the camera needs gain pretty quickly, but, the graininess isn't bad. If you render down to HD, the grain drops a lot due to pixel averaging.

I also am not a fan of 24p. I did try it last weekend with one belly dance group I had already recorded. At first I forced the shutter to 48p (lowest setting). I then set the shutter higher to eliminate the blown highlights. The 48p recording was awful with blurry motion. The higher shutter speed version looked even worse! I got used to 60p with my Panasonic Z10000 (in 2D mode) and don't like to go back to interlaced video. Belly dancing looks a lot better in 60p.

Of course, belly dancing looks great in 3D too so I now have a dilemma. Which camera do I use? So far, I've been using both, but I see my 'Q10 as a better camera for distant scenes like airshows and landscapes. I think one of the best ways to shoot with this camera is to park it on a tripod, set it to wide angle, and just leave it alone. Later, when we have huge monitors, we can pan with our eyes. It will be a very natural way to watch.

5. Collapse Details
    So, the iris range is 2.8 to 5-ish? And that's it? That's a very narrow range of f-stop options.

6. Collapse Details
    I just checked. It's 2.8-5.6. I think they wanted to make sure the lens never softens the video. I remember seeing samples a few years ago of some consumer cameras that were supposed to be 1280x720, but it was obvious from their video that their optics weren't up to the task. JVC doesn't want that reputation.

7. Collapse Details
    JVC's Dave Walton explained there is a good technical reason for the limited F-stop range

https://vimeo.com/40542849

8. Collapse Details
    But this is the bigger issue: Uh-oh. Sony announced their pricing of the FS700 (4k upgradeable with future firmware update and using external recorder), and it's VERY aggressive at $7999 body only. I wonder if this will make JVC re-think their $4995 price point for the HMQ10 - suddenly, $3995 seems like a more logical price for it.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-...ex-5n-rebates/

9. Collapse Details
    I may be way off here, but the f-stop range is a joke. Your talking what, a little over a 2 stop range. Seriously!. Thats it. This renders it, probably the worst run-n-gun cam of all time in the price range. oh well, I have never liked JVC. for anything. And most likely never will. But hey, if it works for you guys, and you dont mind the long list of comprimises, then thats all that matters.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maranfilms View Post
    I may be way off here, but the f-stop range is a joke. Your talking what, a little over a 2 stop range. Seriously!. Thats it. This renders it, probably the worst run-n-gun cam of all time in the price range. oh well, I have never liked JVC. for anything. And most likely never will. But hey, if it works for you guys, and you dont mind the long list of comprimises, then thats all that matters.
    If you don't like JVC products, what are you doing in this thread? Don't you have anythng better to do?
    You've contributed zip to this thread.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast