Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Just finished another video with the newly acquired AF100, comments?
    I've really been enjoying the AF100, I've now finished two small jobs with it. This is a short promotional video I shot and edited for a local radio station, WRVO. Any comments or suggestions are always welcomed. Thanks for watching.

Ryan

2. Collapse Details
    Nicely done Ryan. I like the subtle use of camera movement. Interview lighting was nice too. What was your light kit?

3. Collapse Details
    Very well done, Ryan. You made the set look like a nice place to work.
    Jim Evans

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodeux View Post
    Nicely done Ryan. I like the subtle use of camera movement. Interview lighting was nice too. What was your light kit?
    It looks like a 2 point set-up. The front light is a hard light. Can't tell about the backlight.

Video was ok, but the content, I wasn't convinced. I'll that I saw were people sitting and talking to each other. Not very inspirational. But all in all it's an ok corporate video.
    Sanjin Švajger

5. Collapse Details
    I would have liked to have seen a couple of outdoor shots, e.g. group picture, driving to the station, views of the transmitters, staff writing up and broadcasting an important story, a few shots of various types of listeners on the road listening to the station, so as to end up with a bit less of the office environment, especially to get away from repeated views of microphones - it did not look like there was much going on at the station.

The actors did not seem very passionate - this is always a problem, if you give them beefed up scripts to use it often looks staged, if you don't then what they say is often ho-hum.

The lighting and the transitions were good, IMO. Nice balance between the music and the narrations.

6. Collapse Details
    Wow lots to reply to, thanks for the great feedback.

Voodeux,
    Here are some picture I took of the lighting set up. I was challenged because of the small room we had available to shoot in, I couldn't really place a fill light where I wanted because of the tight quarters, so I put it to the left, creating a harsher light but I was pretty satisfied with it. Also, it was over two days, so during the second shoot (interview with Fred)...I made the mistake of leaving the overhead lights on, which messed up my color and was a pain to correct in post. I still can't believe I did that and didn't notice. I used my school's Lowel 3 point kit plus the bigger fill light (500W key, 500W fill, ~250-500W back?, then another for the background light) all spunned down like crazy.

P1010763.jpg P1010764.jpg

Jevans,
    Thank you!

Kinoks,
    I agree to some extent, it turns out it's very hard to make a radio station look exciting. Also, my inteviewees were pretty mellow, it was hard to capture who they really were once you put a camera in their face, but maybe they were just a reflection on their work environment honestly...

Kwkeistead
    They liked my work so much that they want me to shoot a broad overview kind of video of WRVO, rather than focusing just on their intern department. I will definitely incorporate some of the shots you suggested, we alread have shots of the transmitters planned too actually. I couldn't really gather any great outdoor shots during this video they were on a short timeline and it was during the winter, so there was snow everywhere in Oswego unfortunately.

And you're right...there really wasn't much going on in the station! I was trying my best to get somewhat interesting shots. And Fred interviewed the student interns, I was hoping they would be more enthusiastic but I just wasn't getting much of that. I'm starting to learn some tips and tricks along the way to relax the interviewee more and get more out of them. Thanks for the great suggestions and feedback.

Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ryangschultz View Post
    Kinoks,
    I agree to some extent, it turns out it's very hard to make a radio station look exciting. Also, my inteviewees were pretty mellow, it was hard to capture who they really were once you put a camera in their face, but maybe they were just a reflection on their work environment honestly...
    You probably did far more than they imagined that you would do. I know how this things go...

Quote Originally Posted by ryangschultz View Post
    They liked my work so much that they want me to shoot a broad overview kind of video of WRVO, rather than focusing just on their intern department. I will definitely incorporate some of the shots you suggested, we alread have shots of the transmitters planned too actually. I couldn't really gather any great outdoor shots during this video they were on a short timeline and it was during the winter, so there was snow everywhere in Oswego unfortunately.
    It usually ends up like that. When doing videos like this people always have low expectations, but then when you come and do a good job everybody is astound and happy. So the lesson to learn from this is always create something more than what they're expecting and you'll always have happy astound faces that will gladly call you again for the next job!

Oh yeah, and try to put as much emotions and story in this videos. You'll see that people will be even more satisfied.
    Sanjin Švajger

8. Collapse Details
    Agreed. And as I learn more I'm going to be able to do more. I can't wait to get out of school next year so I can start real work somewhere, general education classes are killing me...

9. Collapse Details
    Looks great, man. Super pro. I liked the slo motion.

What program did you use for the title effects and that shot of the state with all the circles?

My suggestions: shoot in a different location for each interview, like the people at their unique desks or something (I know this would take more time but seeing the same background again and again got kind of old).

Overall I'd say you killed it, man.

Did you use your $50.00 shoulder rig for this? I noticed a shot that looked like it could be a zoom but I'm pretty sure it was just a move (please tell me!)

Thank you.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks, I used After Effects for the titles and also for the motion graphic of the map. I actually grabbed the map right off their Media Kit then just animated the red circles in. Also I did not zoom at all, I only moved the camera. And no, I didn't use my shoulder rig because I didn't have it done at the time. It probably would have ended up looking the same because the slow mo removes fine movements. I made the shoulder rig for longer events mainly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast