Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    I mean, of course I know how much an Alexa costs. You don't think that was blatantly insulting? LOL.
    Fair enough. It's a fine line. I meant it as a rhetorical question and not as an insult, but I readily accept that it could easily be seen that way. Apologies.

but the inquiry wasn't backhanded, it was genuine: every time a versus thread comes up, someone--without fail, needs to let everyone know that so and so is using the camera to do this or that. What's the point?

Just because one major director uses a Go Pro to capture his monumental scene doesn't mean much more than that's the choice he made. Is it done to invalidate other people's opinions on the boards? I'm sincerely confused as to why that matters or people do it.
    I don't think it's meant to invalidate someone else's opinion as much as it's meant to reinforce another opinion. If I can link to a photo taken from the set of "Rush," on which a lot of money is on the line and which is being shot on Alexa, and show that the C300 is being used as a b-cam, then it reinforces the notion that the C300 doesn't actually look terrible next to the Alexa. Because if it did, if people with the money thought that the C300 wasn't up to the task, why would they be putting that pile of cash on the line?

I guess semantically, by reinforcing one opinion, that automatically means you're trying to invalidate the opposing one, though. I mean, that's the whole point of debate, right?
    Last edited by cowpunk52; 04-06-2012 at 04:34 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Your breakdown of a baby's components was horrific in my imagination, for some reason.

Do not want children, now.

Thanks Pappas. lol

Lol.... Sorry about that... :-D

“The talent of an artist is never measured on how real they can create something, it’s on how much life they can give it”

3. Collapse Details
    My thoughts.... I thought both did not look all that great. They both have good detail...but the oversharpened video look on the C300 always take me out. The skin tone on the Alexa looked decent....but a bit smoothed over in certain shots. I've seen many many Alexa footage (and that show is one of my current favorites) but these shots didn't do it any justice. I don't doubt that the C300 would be a good "B" cam....but in this example...if I were to nitpick....we could start with how the colors did not match between the two cameras (that was the very first thing that stuck out to me). And finally....

....what happened to homegirl's bleach blond hair? I mean...talk about being thrown a monkey's wrench. Geez!!! I'm gonna need some time to myself....the horror. :-P

4. Collapse Details
    Weird test video. The Alexa looked soft and off balance and the C300 was sharper and more balanced. I know better, but it's hard to say anything positive with this test. I have seen amazing footage from both cameras so this really didn't do justice to either. I'm sure it helped get some blog hits.
    FOR SALE - Sennheiser Evolution G2 Wireless

My Videos On Vimeo
    http://www.vimeo.com/eriknaso
    Twitter: ErikNaso
    Blog www.eriknaso.com
    Cams: C100, C300, 70D & anything else I can get my hands on.
    Lenses: More than my wife knows. ssshhh....

5. Collapse Details
    Steak Knife Member David G. Smith's Avatar
    Wait a minute, what is the "Baby Alexa"? I am going to be a Noob and not do a Google search, but I thought there was there is the Alexa (Momma Alexa) and the Alexa Studio (Poppa Alexa)... so what is the Baby Alexa?
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    -Orson Wells.

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."
    -Francis Ford Coppola.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David G. Smith View Post
    Wait a minute, what is the "Baby Alexa"? I am going to be a Noob and not do a Google search, but I thought there was there is the Alexa (Momma Alexa) and the Alexa Studio (Poppa Alexa)... so what is the Baby Alexa?
    It's just a colloquial term that some people (or marketing team) dubbed on the C300.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David G. Smith View Post

Wait tell you see Sister Alexa at NAB. :-)......

“The talent of an artist is never measured on how real they can create something, it’s on how much life they can give it”

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    And TOTALLY agree here. Couldn't say anything opposite this post, and you're saying what I'm thinking: baby Alexa is a stretch. When I hear Baby Alexa I immediately go "Oh, looks like Alexa good".
    isn't weird that even if a camera was exactly on par with the Alexa, you would still call it baby Alexa because of the price difference alone.

this may seem harsh(sad but true), it's not logical to assume someone would understand an opinion about a comparison, if you have to explain to him the difference between baby and adult.

9. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    The topic here is Shane Hurlbut's test video. Let's keep it that way.
    Stephen Mick
    Creative Director
    UPG Video

Check out the DVXUser Facebook page at…https://www.facebook.com/dvxuser
    And the DVXUser Vimeo Channel at…https://vimeo.com/channels/558731

10. Collapse Details
    Steak Knife Member David G. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PappasArts View Post
    Wait tell you see Sister Alexa at NAB. :-)......
    Ahh man, don't start that stuff.... I still have Red Band dreams about Arri SRIIIs !!!!
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    -Orson Wells.

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."
    -Francis Ford Coppola.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast