1. Collapse Details
    Dual Eyes - Software for Syncing Audio with Video
    As I have had a LOT of trouble getting sync correctly on my video's, and I run a dual system approach, I figured I would finally see if my workflow could take advantage of the software available for audio syncing. I am EXTREMELY pleased to say that I can take advantage of the software from Singular Software called Dual Eyes. This software simply takes your recorded video, and recorded audio, and will cut your audio to match the video track, or combine them all onto the same Video track (supposedly without re-compressing the video's, but I am doubtful of that as of this writing).

Anyway, the sweet news is that I will never be out of sync again, and on any upcoming project, it will be WAY easier to sync audio with my video. If you are a VDSLR or DSLR shooter running dual system sound, you NEED to check out this software. New hardware was not going to help me with sync problems I have had, so I decided to go with some software to help.

Check them out if you are in the same boat.

http://www.singularsoftware.com/dualeyes.html
    GH13, Sound Devices 702, Schoeps CMC641, COS11d-BP Lav, FOCAL CMS40 Monitor, Rycote Softie, Audio Technica 1800 wireless system, 20mm f1.7, 14mm f2.5, 50mm f1.4 FD, 200m F2.8 FD, 4x4 filter set, Schneider .03 ND Grad, Schneider .9 ND Hard Grad, Schneider Polarizing Filter,

2. Collapse Details
    Dual eyes is supposed to be more flexible in it's workflow.

It's not magic though. If you don't have a decent guide track on the video it won't work and if that track is out of sync so will the processed audio.
    Last edited by Noiz2; 04-05-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise
    Bugín out of Babylon

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

3. Collapse Details
    Dual Eyes: $149.

Pearstone: $30

The software is nice, and as Scott pointed out will work if used as directed and with a clear guide track in the camera footage... but I've never had issues doing it the old-fashioned way.
    Formerly known as C2V
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

4. Collapse Details
    Senior Member gonzo_entertainment's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    Dual Eyes: $149.

Pearstone: $30

The software is nice, and as Scott pointed out will work if used as directed and with a clear guide track in the camera footage... but I've never had issues doing it the old-fashioned way.
    Same here.
    If it was a doc with 362 hours of footage. or I was running 4 cameras or something, ok. For most of my stuff doesn't seem worth the bother. I rarely even have to look at the slate. I am pretty much to the point I can just look at the two waveforms and bam, done in about 10 seconds.

5. Collapse Details
    For those of you with 'all the skill' I commend you, for others who may want to hear about the tool, or find out if anyone else is using it, I wanted to make sure anyone else with this particular 'sync problem' knew I was using it and liking it.

I am glad you can do it with less, but my workflow and shooting style is FAR more chaotic (think a txt comes in to make a happy birthday video for my friend, 1:40 minutes before we are supposed to be at the party celebrating his birthday!, I shoot a quick bit with the kids singing, they are toddlers so they are ruining half the shots, and then I need to go and sync all that in post, then export then upload to youtube before the party starts. This tool could have saved me 10 minutes of time trying to manually sync, and that 10 minutes is worth the 150$ to me! And this is just one example from my experience.)
    GH13, Sound Devices 702, Schoeps CMC641, COS11d-BP Lav, FOCAL CMS40 Monitor, Rycote Softie, Audio Technica 1800 wireless system, 20mm f1.7, 14mm f2.5, 50mm f1.4 FD, 200m F2.8 FD, 4x4 filter set, Schneider .03 ND Grad, Schneider .9 ND Hard Grad, Schneider Polarizing Filter,

6. Collapse Details
    Maybe it's because I've done so much sound editing and dialogue editing, but all I've ever needed is one sharp sync point, like a dumb slate or even a hand clap. I did a new product video recently and I used 3 "cameras", all of them low cost, and what you would consider "dumb" cameras. I recorded audio on one of them (well, two, but the second cam wasn't that usable, so I ditched it). When I would cut between cameras, it would take me 20 to 30 seconds to line up the video with the audio track....and this was in iMovie. Unless you have a HUGE shot list with lots of cameras all over the place, a dumb slate is all you really need. However, I can see the value in something that just takes care if sync as long as it is done right.
    David Fisk
    Sales Manager
    K-Tek/M. Klemme Technology Corp.
    dave@ktekbooms.com

7. Collapse Details
    as long as an extra output is going to camera (or wireless should do also), or a hard short sound (clap) is given...it should all do fine.
    SOUND EDITING - SOUND DESIGN - AND ALSO SOUNDRECORDING

philipsfilmsound.com