1. Collapse Details
    Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle v2
    was about to get an extra E-Series 64GB P2 card (as I need to record long session in HD res) for my ag-hpx171 and found the HyperDeck Shuttle to be a much cheaper alternative (considering the cost of SSD drives)
    the E-Series 64GB is for around 500 GBP and the HyperDeck Shuttle for 200 (without SSD )

Is HyperDeck Shuttle worth considering over E-Series 64GB P2 ?
    Has anyone tried the HyperDeck Shuttle for HD recording over SDI cable?

Thanks in advance

2. Collapse Details
    youre going to need a VERY big SSD to to long recording with the hyperdeck. which will negate the perceived savings of the hyperdeck itself.
    i think youd be better off with another 64gig card.
    check out this article:

http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2011/08/1...er-review-240/

3. Collapse Details
    why don't you use a firestore fs-100? mine has 100GB and lasts for almost 2 hours recording time.. you can upgrade it with an 250GB HD or bigger if you want and you should be fine...

regards
    SH

4. Collapse Details
    thank you wgzn for the link, it's very detailed and helpful

dear stefanhuberfilms is the firestore fs-100 reliable enough and easy to use with a PC? Btw can't really find a place to buy one, is it discontinued?

5. Collapse Details
    Yes, the firestore is reliable, i used it filming an 8 hour skateboard contest, fisheye shots, long lens shots, shots while running and so on... i also fell once on the skateboard and the camera hit the ground a little - no problem, still recording.
    the only "Problem" would be the firewire port which is pretty instable on the HVX, maybe on the HPX too? i solved it by cutting off a headphone jack and glueing it to a piece of plastic together with the firewire jack - connecting both to the camera gives you a save connection. But wait, doesn't the HPX have a firewire 600 port? so it would be no problem i guess...
    You will just connect the Firestore to your PC and use the DD Drive option in the firestores menu - so it mounts to your PC - and it's Faster than usb 2.0.
    Yes its continued, but you will find some used ones, i think i've seen one just before in the WTB section...
    otherwise:
    http://www.ebay.at/sch/i.html?_from=...All-Categories

EDIT: another cool thing is that you could connect the firestore using the cameras inbuilt 1394 host mode... you can backup your p2 card footage on location without the need of a laptop, then empty the card again and go on with shooting - useful if you don't want to carry the weight of the fs-100... takes about 25 minutes with firewire 400 port, maybe 15 minutes on the HPX with firewire 600...
    Last edited by stefanhuberfilms; 04-06-2012 at 02:05 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    the fs100 has been discontinued for quite a while now. but you can find them used on ebay/craigslist pretty regularly...

different people will tell you different stories about firestore reliability. im with stefan, ive owned two of them and neither one ever gave me an ounce of trouble.
    though i did CONSTANTLY worry about the tiny firewire port getting disconnected (though it never did)

but other people will tell you horror stories about firestore failure. i always wondered though if there wasnt some small untold user-error behind those stories...

7. Collapse Details
    Another option for FireWire to disc recording is th Maxell VC102. I haven't used that specifically, but I do use their rugged ivdr hard drives, which is the recording medium, and it is real nice hardware.

Grant

8. Collapse Details
    thank you all so much, all info and help are very appreciated,
    not sure yet if will go with firestor or maxell.
    As for the HyperDeck seams like I over evaluated the "saving" as at the end if you add up the cost of a very big ssd is getting close to the cost of the e64GB
    seams like HyperDeck is designed for other kind of applications (and not for long recordings) were uncompressed 10 bit is a must