1. Collapse Details
    Canon 28-135 or Rode mic
    I really need to upgrade my kit lens. I've been looking at videos shot with this lens on the 7D and it looks really good. Right now I have a 50mm 1.8 and a 18-55. I really need a mic like the rode videomic. But I don't have enough money for both. Should I get a mic and use my 50mm 1.8 and kit lens? Or should I buy the 28-135 and get some cash then buy a mic? If anyone could help me that would nice. I'm shooting on the T2i if that changes anything.

2. Collapse Details
    I wouldn't get the 28-135 unless you really need one lens that can cover that whole focal range.
    I would upgrade the 18-55 with a tamron 17-50 non vc (used ~350ish). Sharp image and a big fixed aperture the whole way. I would definitely say that the 28-135 definitely has the photographer in mind, not so much the videographer.

Get the mic. If you dont have an external microphone, the rode is a great choice, and you should be able to get most all the shots you need with just those two lenses.

3. Collapse Details
    +1
    I have used that Tamron 17-50 non cv every day for a year and a half, you won't be disappointed. I would only sell it if I moved out of APS-c. It even beat the Canon 24-70 2.8 L on a CA test I shot on the spot. Your Canon 50mm 1.8 is very sharp, never mind the plastic stigma. I had a food shoot Sunday and used the 1.8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Michael Rockmore