Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by eteam View Post
    None of the low-cost HDMI recorders use lossless compression. So what started out as "duplicate" frames or fields will almost certainly not end up as duplicate (100% match) frames or fields. Lossy compression can wipe out all the usual clues needed for reliable reversal of pulldown. Don't expect a NLE to guess between the various 24p to 60i pulldowns, plus 30p to 60i (2:2) pulldown.
    The Hyperdeck Shuttle and Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 can both record lossless HDMI. Both are under $350 for the recorder which make them the cheapest out there. I do agree it would be better for the recorder to do it tho.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lasikdenver View Post
    Do you think with the Connect that the Samurai will be able work with the D4 changing HDMI to SDI?
    I agree with Brian's answer to this question, and toss in another 2 bits.

If the HDMI => SDI converter is sufficiently capable, it will support the D4/D800 native HDMI signal formats. Then there is no need for pulldown or pulldown reversal.

And if there is a need for pulldown, the SDI standards provide for ancillary data and timecode, either of which can tell the downstream device all that is needed for absolutely correct handling of the signal (including pulldown reversal, if needed). The HDMI => SDI converter would need to provide these bits in most situations, as there are no HDMI standards for timecode or pulldown markers (if present they would be proprietary).

Does this make sense?

-- Bob Elkind

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian@202020 View Post
    The Hyperdeck Shuttle and Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 can both record lossless HDMI. Both are under $350 for the recorder which make them the cheapest out there. I do agree it would be better for the recorder to do it tho.
    Thank you for that. I imagine at that price, the storage media is not included. Uncompressed or lossless compressed storage has its advantages and disadvantages, but that would indeed be a risk-free solution.

-- Bob Elkind

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah the storage fast enough for the uncompressed recordings is another good chunk of money. I have the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2, but I mostly record DNxHD on slower cheeper SSD's.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart U View Post
    This is what "Head Of Support" at Atomos wrote to me:

"We have been told of a lot of confusion about what the nikon actually outputs, is this what you are referring to?
    When you look at the output options for the Nikon camera you only have 1080i or 720p, there is no option for 1080p output because the camera does not support it. Nikon output a progressive stream wrapped in 60i for computability.
    We detect the 24P, 25P, 30P, or 50P 720 inside and then remove the 60i to leave a beautiful image form the original sensor.
    The Ninja Firmware 2.1 does enable the Nikon images to captured."
    I hope Atmos does a test such as Aja has done to determine what the camera is capable of outputting when the HDMI is set to Auto, and does not simply assume the camera incapable of 1080p HDMI output simply because it is not an option in the menu.
    Last edited by dfreerider; 03-30-2012 at 12:16 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by eteam View Post
    If the HDMI => SDI converter is sufficiently capable, it will support the D4/D800 native HDMI signal formats. Then there is no need for pulldown or pulldown reversal.
    Does this make sense?

-- Bob Elkind
    If true, then fantastic. In any case, everything you write makes sense

7. Collapse Details
    BTW. I felt the earth move today. All kinds of rumblings of 4K DSLR bombs falling at NAB this year.
    Tempted to attend...
    http://registration3.experient-inc.c...aspx?App=PRESS

8. Collapse Details
    Hi Guys.

Just an update to the HDMI Live Stream out of the Nikon D800 using an external recorder like the Atomos Ninja. It appears that the Nikon D800 Live Output is different to the Nikon D4 and the development of the Ninja firmware with Nikon cameras was developed around the the D4. It appears there are some minor issues that Atomos are working on at present. I don't have an specifics, all I know is the the two cameras output the data stream differently.

Stay tuned.

9. Collapse Details
    Hi All,

Have just had an update from Atomos that they have released firmware 2.2 for the Ninja specific for the D800. It appears that it can now record the true progressive stream from the camera without wrapping it in an interlaced format. Check out their support site for details: http://www.atomos.com/support/

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenh View Post
    Have just had an update from Atomos that they have released firmware 2.2 for the Ninja specific for the D800. It appears that it can now record the true progressive stream from the camera without wrapping it in an interlaced format.
    Has anyone heard or read or otherwise verified that Ninja firmware 2.2 fully supports both D4 and D800?

-- Bob Elkind

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast