Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    I'm keeping notes on what you guys want to see. Keep those ideas coming!
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

2. Collapse Details
    Alphatron viewfinder
    FS-700
    12-35 and 35-100 Lumix X lenses
    Any info on AVC-Ultra
    Anybody making any actual, high-quality, usable LED lights that aren't cheap/green-colored flickery banding-causing headaches
    Digital Bolex
    Given the interest in the digital bolex, is Red considering salvaging anything from the years of development with their 2/3" line or are they truly washing their hands of it?

3. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar
    Look around in the far dark corners of the NAB show floor, maybe even in an alley, or a hotel room .... ;-)

My dream is that someone has figured out that AJA, SoundDevices, Atomos, etc. have done a lot of work for them, and "all" they have to do is come out with is the front end of a video camera, not the back end -- not a complete camcorder.

Make it available with a "common" mount or two (maybe old-style Nikon, or PL, or offer both), an APS-C or larger (preferably FF) sensor, built-in NDs optional but would be nice, and 1080p 10-bit 4:2:2 (@ 24p, 25p, 30p & 720p60/50 ... of course 1080p60/50 would be nice)

... no internal recording! Just high-quality 1080p HDMI live out please!

... put all this in a small-ish metal box with lots of 1/4" & 3/8" threaded holes in it, and give it clean normal not-screwed-up HDMI or HD-SDI live out!

End users would configure this cam head together with an external recorder, EVF or monitor, lenses, filters, matte box, battery power, etc. Audio sources would be connected to the external recorder.

I mean, how difficult can this be for a "real company" (not a VW bus full of hippies, or egomaniacs)?

Oh, and they can say they also have a 4K version coming late next year, but for 2012 & 2013, good ol' clean 10-bit 4:2:2 1080p is fine.

Thank you very much. ;-)
    Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 03-31-2012 at 01:48 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    FS-700
    12-35 and 35-100 Lumix X lenses
    Any info on AVC-Ultra
    +1

And the Canon Cinema DSLR as well!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. DeCrescenzo View Post
    I mean, how difficult can this be for a "real company" (not a VW bus full of hippies, or egomaniacs)?
    Agree with you Peter - shouldn't be that hard - except "real companies" have constituencies for every piece of the product. Designing out redundancies means there is some office or division where people's jobs are threatened. And that division has a vice president who fights for his or her people in the executive suite.

That's part of the reason why IBM and DEC didn't adopt the microprocessor and BASIC quickly enough to revolutionize the microcomputer world in the 70s and 80s, while a couple of hippies in a garage (Apple) and a college dropout and his buddies (Microsoft) did.

So let's not count the digital video camera hippies out - at least not yet ;-)

Cheers,

Bill
    Last edited by brunerww; 03-31-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    Hybrid Camera Revolution
    http://www.hybridcamerarevolution.com
    FZ150/TM900/GH1/GH2/GH3/GH4/BMPCC

6. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar
    Hi Bill: As a former long-hair myself I hold no ill will against hippies. :-)

However, my patience is wearing out. Several low/no-budget attempts at something like this have already been made over the years, and new ones periodically pop up (DigitalBolex, etc.)

But none have created what I want: A large-sensor 1080p camera head with no internal recording.

My target price is <$3K. I simply can't believe that the likes of BlackMagic, AJA, SoundDevices, etc. don't understand why they should do it, or why they can't get it done.

The hippies & egomaniacs (e.g.: RED) haven't succeeded (yet).

I don't care who does it.

Just make it so. :-)

7. Collapse Details
    Lights. Low wattage high power cinema lights. I.e. led's and lep's and anything else we haven't heard of.
    And any new cinema lenses.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. DeCrescenzo View Post
    ... none have created what I want: A large-sensor 1080p camera head with no internal recording...
    I want this product too, so I'm pulling for some group of hippies we haven't heard from yet. If the real companies do it, it is likely to be overpriced as a niche device.

As an example, see this $1500 Panasonic AG-HCK10 small-sensor 1080p camera head - which is essentially one of their prosumer cams with the internal recorder stripped out and an HD-SDI output tacked on in its place. The head requires a $2250 Panasonic external 24mbps HD-SDI AVCHD recorder to work, and, even without the recorder, costs $300 more than their much better top of the line prosumer cam, the X900M.

Gotta pay the pensions for those laid-off internal recorder guys ;-)

Cheers,

Bill
    Hybrid Camera Revolution
    http://www.hybridcamerarevolution.com
    FZ150/TM900/GH1/GH2/GH3/GH4/BMPCC

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by brunerww View Post
    I want this product too, so I'm pulling for some group of hippies we haven't heard from yet. If the real companies do it, it is likely to be overpriced as a niche device.

As an example, see this $1500 Panasonic AG-HCK10 small-sensor 1080p camera head - which is essentially one of their prosumer cams with the internal recorder stripped out and an HD-SDI output tacked on in its place. The head requires a $2250 Panasonic external 24mbps HD-SDI AVCHD recorder to work, and, even without the recorder, costs $300 more than their much better top of the line prosumer cam, the X900M.

Gotta pay the pensions for those laid-off internal recorder guys ;-)
    You know what - you're absolutely right.

I mean... if they bothered to stick a decent recorder in the camera, it'd be alright. But you look at the GH2 hack situation and Panasonic's response (offering a pitiful bitrate increase)... and you wonder if the encoding team is just deliberately crippling the camera. They have some kind of line like "must stick to AVC standard"... well, standards never stopped manufacturers before in creating a vast array of stuff that was incompatible with each other for very little real benefit. Why is it when you can get a real improvement in image quality that they suddenly decide to obey the letter of the law and not create their own 150mb/sec preset or whatever?

Ah man... I actually looked at that POV camera with a futile hope that it would be useful for 3D stereo rigs. But no genlock / shutter sync and no way to completely precisely synchronize lenses, right?

For my part, I'm really really interested in why all of these companies that are heavily invested in selling 3D TVs / projectors / Blu-Ray systems (Sony, Panasonic, JVC) refuse to make stuff that works well with a light, small mirror rig, eg:
    - great camera heads without recorders onboard (like you suggest)
    - or give their lightweight high-quality cameras Genlock and lens sync options (why does F3 have it but FS100 and AF100 don't?)

If someone could ask them that question, I'd love to know the answer!

Thanks

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceallen View Post
    You know what - you're absolutely right.

I mean... if they bothered to stick a decent recorder in the camera, it'd be alright. But you look at the GH2 hack situation and Panasonic's response (offering a pitiful bitrate increase)... and you wonder if the encoding team is just deliberately crippling the camera. They have some kind of line like "must stick to AVC standard"... well, standards never stopped manufacturers before in creating a vast array of stuff that was incompatible with each other for very little real benefit. Why is it when you can get a real improvement in image quality that they suddenly decide to obey the letter of the law and not create their own 150mb/sec preset or whatever?

Ah man... I actually looked at that POV camera with a futile hope that it would be useful for 3D stereo rigs. But no genlock / shutter sync and no way to completely precisely synchronize lenses, right?

For my part, I'm really really interested in why all of these companies that are heavily invested in selling 3D TVs / projectors / Blu-Ray systems (Sony, Panasonic, JVC) refuse to make stuff that works well with a light, small mirror rig, eg:
    - great camera heads without recorders onboard (like you suggest)
    - or give their lightweight high-quality cameras Genlock and lens sync options (why does F3 have it but FS100 and AF100 don't?)

If someone could ask them that question, I'd love to know the answer!

Thanks

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com
    Cuz its the lumix line. Consumer cam division. Lets wait and see how the broadcast division responds on NAB

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast