Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TomLenham View Post
    It's a horrible lens imho, slow and soft.
    Slow surely, but NOT soft

Regards

Gary

2. Collapse Details
    Probably the best all around lens for this camera if you are shooting run and gun outdoors. it's not a cine lens, and yes it is a little slow to autofocus but it is razor sharp! A nice lens for sports & keeping up with action. Nice range too. Essential in my kit. Glad I bought it in addition to my primes & older Nikon f2.8 glass. Had my doubts before but it saved my bacon on my last video-style shoot.
    www.markwelch.tv
    AF-100, CPM Sidewinder shoulder mount, Nikon 50mm, 35-70 f.2.8, Nikon 50-300 f4, Lumix 20 mm f1.7, 14-140 f4, Lectrosonics, Sound Devices Pix 240, Sound Devices MixPre, Arri lighting, Cobra dolly.

3. Collapse Details
    Saw this post and thought I'd chime in on the Lumix 14-140mm. I just lost several shots on a lengthy shoot due to the AF function of this lens. I used it for the first of ten days of shooting and caught the problem when viewing the clips in my hotel room at the end of the day on a larger monitor. The focus motor 'hunts' under certain conditions resulting in a high frequency 'vibration' in the image, showing itself most noticeably on the frame edges, and very subtly elsewhere. There were several shots done at the maximum 140mm focal length and found the vibrations to be proportionally magnified and were unusable. A TV logic field monitor was used during the day and we did not notice the problem while shooting due to the small image size. The remaining days of the shoot we used the lens in manual mode and found no more problems. Thinking the lens were at fault, I tested it on my GH2 and it works perfectly. Anyone else experience this?
    Last edited by spotts; 03-30-2012 at 12:02 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Only used it once on AF, and owned it with my GH2. Pictures were sharp all the way and being so compact and versatile, makes it good for travel.

As for focus hunting, if and when shooting video. keep it at manual mode. To me, there is no reason to shoot video with AF except for photos on my GH2.

5. Collapse Details
    As usual it depends on your needs. Often i am doing jobs with limited time and lens changes just cost too much time. It turned out that the Lumix lens is a great allrounder, you just have to get used to its weaknesses. When zooming it is like recalibrating (?)...doesn't look nice, but i am cheeky now and say that zooming during shooting is something for videographers. And it is slow...well, shooting outside in summer i am happy about that fact and inside i am using lights and all is fine. Only shooting inside without light....a concert for instance....is critical, but again....that's something for video-cams in my opinion.
    In the end you get an allrounder lens for a small price here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12