interchangeable lens mount
    frame rates of 60fps, 30fps, 15fps, 8fps, 4fps, 2fps and 1fps
    body weight of less that 2 pounds
    record to cheap but reliable 3rd party memory cards
    selectable gamma modes
    No Moire
    HDMI Out w/ embedded time code for 4:2:2 uncompressed digital output
    $5K

Sound impressive? It's actually been around more than a year now. Aside from the mount, this is the spec list for the Sony FS100.

Canon has had its chance to cash in on its instigation of the dslr "revolution." It has failed. Panasonic splashed the AF100 ($5K). Sony launched the FS100 ($5K). Now JVC is about to unveil a 4K 1/2" camera ($5K). And Canon has answered with... an overpriced DSLR toy that can't even compete with Nikon (who have no video division) and a $16K monstrosity that is the laughing stock of the Red community. (And we wonder why the Red disciples are a bunch of pompous asses.)

I hope I'm wrong. I would love nothing more than to hear about a $5K big-chip pro camcorder from Canon that will natively mount my 14/35/85/135 primes. It would be heaven. But I'm getting pissed. This camera should have existed a year ago! Come on CANON!!!!

Sorry, had to rant.

2. Collapse Details
    Sounds like you need a FS100. I'm saving for one.

A few people have made the same comment. Sony has the camera but for some reason everyone wants Canon to make it.

3. Collapse Details
    Some people like having built in ND filters, I guess.
    Sean Ryan Finnegan
    Director + Cinematographer @ IGN.com
    Twitter | IMDB

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbygoo View Post
    Some specs:

Native EF mount with full aperture control
    Super 35 sensor
    60p in Full HD 1080p
    Dual XLR inputs
    16-bit 48KHz LPCM or Dolby Digital Stereo 48KHz
    shutter speeds from 1/3 - 1/10000
    interchangeable lens mount
    frame rates of 60fps, 30fps, 15fps, 8fps, 4fps, 2fps and 1fps
    body weight of less that 2 pounds
    record to cheap but reliable 3rd party memory cards
    selectable gamma modes
    No Moire
    HDMI Out w/ embedded time code for 4:2:2 uncompressed digital output
    $5K

Sound impressive? It's actually been around more than a year now. Aside from the mount, this is the spec list for the Sony FS100.

Canon has had its chance to cash in on its instigation of the dslr "revolution." It has failed. Panasonic splashed the AF100 ($5K). Sony launched the FS100 ($5K). Now JVC is about to unveil a 4K 1/2" camera ($5K). And Canon has answered with... an overpriced DSLR toy that can't even compete with Nikon (who have no video division) and a $16K monstrosity that is the laughing stock of the Red community. (And we wonder why the Red disciples are a bunch of pompous asses.)

I hope I'm wrong. I would love nothing more than to hear about a $5K big-chip pro camcorder from Canon that will natively mount my 14/35/85/135 primes. It would be heaven. But I'm getting pissed. This camera should have existed a year ago! Come on CANON!!!!

Sorry, had to rant.
    Dude - got a tip for you: Buy the FS100 and the Metabones adapter. If it's the perfect camera for you, what are you complaining about? Get it and start shooting. Specs on paper will never give the whole story - otherwise the C300 wouldn't be doing as well as it is, and everyone would be shooting with the FS100. But they're not. And who cares if RED fanboys laugh at the C300? It certainly hasn't stopped it being backordered for months and employed in professional productions all over the world since the day it arrived.

There's no reason to be angry about cameras. You're wasting your time and energy. Shoot with what works - if something better comes along at your budget level, shoot with that.
    Last edited by cowpunk52; 03-19-2012 at 08:16 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    I saw a similarly puzzling thing happen years ago when the DVX100 came out. At that time, Sony was "the one and only" and nobody would buy anything other than Sony. Panasonic came out with (at the time) the absolutely perfect camera. So did people buy it? Some did, but many many many said "wow, I can't wait to see how Sony answers this, I'll wait until Sony makes what I want." And it was, let me see, I think about four YEARS before Sony produced an actual 24p camcorder that could be said to actually compete with the DVX100.

In the meantime, the DVX became a legend, because many people did just buy what they needed, and didn't get hung up on who makes it.

So if an FS100 does what you want, why wait for Canon to build something comparable? Why not just buy the product that does what you want? Why not reward the company that is doing what you want, and thereby punish the company that isn't doing what you want, to the point where they hopefully learn their lesson?

(and yes, I fully expect Canon to make a C100, but it's probably at least a full year away).

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpunk52 View Post
    Shoot with what works - if something better comes along at your budget level, shoot with that.
    Yep, exactly.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks cowpunk, that metabones looks perfect! Just saw a detailed review on vimeo. It even works with the 85 1.2L and its funky electro-focus motor. Until this came along there was no PRACTICAL workaround. The MTF wasn't going to cut it for me--especially at its price point. This really seals the deal.

My biggest problem now is scheduling my shoots in such a way that I can sell my current rig (EX1r), get the new unit ASAP and train myself and accessorize as needed. Hopefully not too much of a learning curve on settings and picture profiles, etc.

I said I was getting pissed--that was just hperbole. Really it's more practical than that. For what I do (biographies, corporate docs and commercial spots), I have a strong desire for a big chip camera that can handle pro audio and will make use of my substantial investment in 35mm primes. Now it looks like I have what I'll need.

Thanks again!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbygoo View Post
    Thanks cowpunk, that metabones looks perfect! Just saw a detailed review on vimeo. It even works with the 85 1.2L and its funky electro-focus motor. Until this came along there was no PRACTICAL workaround. The MTF wasn't going to cut it for me--especially at its price point. This really seals the deal.

My biggest problem now is scheduling my shoots in such a way that I can sell my current rig (EX1r), get the new unit ASAP and train myself and accessorize as needed. Hopefully not too much of a learning curve on settings and picture profiles, etc.

I said I was getting pissed--that was just hperbole. Really it's more practical than that. For what I do (biographies, corporate docs and commercial spots), I have a strong desire for a big chip camera that can handle pro audio and will make use of my substantial investment in 35mm primes. Now it looks like I have what I'll need.

Thanks again!
    Glad you found something that works for you! Now get out and shoot! ;)

9. Collapse Details
    the fs100 is beautifully designed. well priced and has lots of lens options. especially now the metabones adaptor is around. add to that, upcoming lenses such as the superb sel50f18 - with amazing OSS. Dont be afraid of the 18-200mm 'kit' lens. i was blown away by how well it stabalized the shot - at 18mm it was like a stedicam! lovely buttery focus ring. I had the chance to spend some time with one. handles superbly. add a clm-v55 5" monitor and its the ultimate cost effective solution. the nex range is soon to be hacked, and with it will come some serious improvements and unlocking of firmware controlled limitations, applied by sony for product differentiation.

Edit* I also work on documentary work mainly. event stuff etc. they want the large sensor look. the FS100 is my first port of call. it is so compact and well balanced. the side grip is a dream for handheld, shooting from the waist and chest for the shots you cant achieve with a full on shoulder setup. I will be investing in one, or its replacement within a year.
    Last edited by richg101; 03-25-2012 at 01:35 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpunk52 View Post
    Dude - got a tip for you:

There's no reason to be angry about cameras. You're wasting your time and energy. Shoot with what works - if something better comes along at your budget level, shoot with that.
    Every camera will have some limitation or the other. Better to work within those limitations and shoot. It is important to express your vision. The video ability in DSLR created a revolution and allowed lot of people to express their vision. Similarly the lower cost video cameras with sufficient controls for the serious shooter is liberating for people who want to go ahead and shoot. Endlessly fighting over specs doesn't help in honing our artistic abilities.

The audience doesn't know what is used to shoot a film. They don't give a damn whether we have used the latest and the greatest camera. I did a short wildlife film and it was shown in Haida Gwaii Film Festival, Canada. It is half the world away from my country India. Just the thought that your work is seen in some other part of the world makes me wonder how fortunate we are interms of technology. I shot it with a Canon EOS 1D Mark IV camera. Can I do better with better technology like C300? Absolutely Yes. Should I wait till I accumulate all the coins for a C300. Certainly not. One needs to keep on utilising what he/she has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast