Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I was hoping the ac160 and ac160 would be the way to go. It seems to me there just isn't yet an HD equivalent/ replacement camera that is to the HD world what the DVX100b was to the SD world. 3MOS issues with no global shutter, unreliable autofocus, codecs that aren't great. It's getting better but still seems like a bunch of compromises: ie one camera works for one thing but not for another; does good at one thing but lacks another. The DVX was so versatile. It could be used for entertainment, docs, news, weddings, keying, fast action videos and more. It had a short zoom and stretch 16x9 but was a great prosumer camera.

This is a good thread and I am also curious as to what people suggest. How about other brands other than panasonic? I think maybe the next time around things will improve (avc ultra) but business cannot wait another ~couple years.
    Last edited by firehawk; 03-24-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Ran out of time

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MorrisLives View Post
    Does the cardboard box count?

I guess if I'd paid for it myself I'd feel bad. But the company I work for shelled out the $$. Bought it from Adorama.
    Well if the company paid for it... no worries.
    On fleabay you can find them for around $1k used with less than 100 hours, but most companies won't do a fleabay transaction.

3. Collapse Details
    Hi to all. i am also on deciding were to go after dvx100b. I am still shooting on sd but i want to upgrade one to HD because is time and because i will like to stop buying cassetes. I am using it for weeding, birthdays etc. But my question is i am working whit final cut 7 whit either of the panasonic cameras any issues editing whit FCP

Thanks

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgeg73 View Post
    I am using it for weeding, birthdays etc
    Yeah it's great in the garden...

5. Collapse Details
    heck no man !! the DVX100 is still a valid cam,, you're in good company ..
    Joe X-porter

6. Collapse Details
    I have 4 DVX100B's that we shoot weddings with every weekend... I am, as are my clients TOTALLY pleased with the output that we are getting with these cameras. Delivered our first set of Blue-Rays of a wedding shot on the 100B's @ 30p and the clients were totally blown away with the quality... My only issue is having to use the tapes. (Workflow would really benefit being tapeless) We are currently exploring Firestore and other options, any suggestions from the guru's out here? I just hate to think of leaving the DVX for other options when I am getting such rich footage...

7. Collapse Details
    The DVX to HMC 150 transition, for me, was seamless. Took about 5 minutes to figure out how to transcode the footage in FCP; now I just keep sort of project templates set up for 720/60 (for slowmo) and 1080. Reset the capture scratch drive to my project folder... and don't forget to disable Perian (which for me crashes FCP during log & transfer). The camera handles quite like the DVX, the scene files have a similar feel to them. No more tapes, no more "am I 24p or 24pA??", and killer slowmo and very useable keying. For most clients I do my edits at 720, but sometimes drop a 1080 clip on the timeline if I want to reframe closer.

It's all just awesome, and I can setup the HMC to match my Canon DSLR pretty well; just did a 3-camera shoot with HMC, Canon and a Nikon D7000. Came out great and the client was blown away.

I loved my DVX, but I cringe at the thought of it now. (What will make me cringe about the 150 in a few years though? Hmmm...)

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by eofeapr View Post
    heck no man !! the DVX100 is still a valid cam,, you're in good company ..
    Agreed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12