Thread: AF200 Soon?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Discounts are suspect! And so close to NAB.

2. Collapse Details
    There's pretty much zero prospect of any af200 this year. That's not how Panasonic works, or at least historically it isn't. They don't have infinite development teams. They can't replace every model every year, they typically roll through the big cams, then the small cams, then the midsize cams. The hmc40/80 or the hpx2000/2700/3700 have all been around much longer and are therefore more likely candidates for updates sooner than the AF100.

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    I've honestly never seen another AF-100 in person other than the one I had.
    I actually saw a decent number at SXSW this year (though way more Canon DSLRs). Also, at the Lionel Ritchie concert, the people shooting for Billboard were using a AF-100 and GH1 combo.

4. Collapse Details
    My sources tell me there will be a new AFxxx at NAB, P2 based. My sources also tell me that there will NOT be an S35 sensor camera from Panasonic this year. Expect NAB to be about AVC-Ultra for Panasonic, but not sure what camera/s it will be in, and what version of Ultra, ie; 4:4:4, 3D, 4K, etc. If there is no S35 sensor at any price point from Panasonic and/or the new AFxxx doesn't have a new sensor, 10-bit architecture and more powerful DSP, I don't envision buying our next large sensor camera from Panasonic. We have a Canon C300 PL on order, although want to wait for NAB announcements and delivery times. Things are moving fast!

Jeff Regan
    SHOOTING STAR VIDEO

www.ssv.com

New: Canon C300 PL, Panasonic HPX255 cameras, Canon CN-E 30-105mm, RED 17-50mm, AllStar 80-200mm, GL 11-16mm, 18-35 Cine zooms, AllStar 50mm, RED 85mm primes.

Panasonic HPX2700 P2 Varicam,
    Sony EX1, HXC-100K cameras, Arri, Chrosziel, Elements, Sachtler, Zacuto support, FSI, Leader, Panasonic, TV Logic HD LCD monitors, MYT Works 4' slider, Arri, LTM Pepper, Chimera, Kino Flo, F&V lighting. HD Fly Pack with Panasonic HS410 switcher.

5. Collapse Details
    I'm OK with the m4/3 sensor as long at they update the latitude/resolution and codec .. that's worth sticking around for.
    If they don't, they're going to lose some serious market share to Canon and RED ...

That said, I don't think they're that inept.

jeff
    On The Mark Media
    http://otm-rentals.com
    "Bokeh Schmokeh ... look at the girl!"

6. Collapse Details
    [QUOTE=jmarkham;1986105915]I'm OK with the m4/3 sensor as long at they update the latitude/resolution and codec .. that's worth sticking around for.
    If they don't, they're going to lose some serious market share to Canon and RED ...
    QUOTE]

Throw in 1:1 modus for focussing.

I think Panasonic should not stay in a "sphinxian" silence for much longer. The things I'd need to know is: Will they stay with and protect the m 4/3 system (I hope they do), will they give owners finally some clarity if their current camera can develop firmware-wise, can they throw us at least a hint what their road-map will look like.
    Last edited by Rolf Silber; 03-18-2012 at 12:15 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    i really hope panasonic would release a firmware update to fix the highlight handling. I'm not holding my breathe though.

8. Collapse Details
    If Panasonic is going to tie an increased MFT sensor resolution / throughput to the P2 format .. that would be a mistake (IMHO).
    Quality SSD drives have higher capacity, throughput, and reliability as compared to P2 media (at least in my experience). We
    have lost zero clips on our Intel 320 and Kingston SSD drives. The same cannot be said of our P2 media.

The price/performance curve of P2 vs SSD leaves P2 a very expensive and non-justifiable pricepoint.

jeff
    On The Mark Media
    http://otm-rentals.com
    "Bokeh Schmokeh ... look at the girl!"

9. Collapse Details
    I've been using the p2 format for almost 3 years and its been bullet proof. i think p2 is very reliable and very pricey...

10. Collapse Details
    In a world where a Hyperdeck shuttle/120GB SSD package is ~$500, can someone explain to me how a P2 card slot in a new camera is a good idea?
    Hybrid Camera Revolution
    http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com
    FZ150/GH1/GH2/TM900

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast