Thread: No DOF?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Oh, right. Shallow, deep, get those confused sometimes lol

I'm going to go try this today! Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    While you can wiggle around a bit by moving back and using a more telephoto setting, the other alternative is getting closer to your subject. Basically depth of field is greatly affected by subject to camera distance versus subject to background distance. If you reduce the subject to camera you will get better isolation.

HOWEVER, realize that if you want to keep the same framing of your subject, you're really just "wiggling" around with all this getting closer/farther/zooming/etc.. What you need is a wider aperture, using a 2.8 zoom or a brighter prime is the ONLY way you're going to get significant gains.

Realize that if you "get farther away and use a telephoto setting" you're also increasing your subject to camera distance, which will make your depth of field deeper, you'll make some of that plus a *bit* because of it being telephoto. If you move closer, even with a wider setting, you will get more subject isolation, however of course you may hamper your subject's framing and maybe get perspective distortion.

realize also that telephoto settings will make your background bigger (compressed), and wider settings will look more 3D and there will be more background visible.

Good luck... I suggest getting a brighter lens!

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the reply

HOWEVER, realize that if you want to keep the same framing of your subject, you're really just "wiggling" around with all this getting closer/farther/zooming/etc.. What you need is a wider aperture, using a 2.8 zoom or a brighter prime is the ONLY way you're going to get significant gains.
    Yeah, like I said I have quite a few Pentax lens including a 28mm and a 50mm 2.8 lens. I hope to get the adapter soon to try them out

4. Collapse Details
    This acronym, DOF, gets tossed around often "mindlessly" so it's no wonder it's often misunderstood. It stands for "Depth Of Field" which is in itself merely a "label" for the "Zone Of Acceptable Sharpness". This zone is affected by lens focal length, lens aperture, camera to subject distance, and subject to background elements distance.

There is no sharp line of delineation that defines where this zone begins and ends, from the "front" of the zone there is some transition from totally unsharp to not so unsharp to somewhat sharp and then to sharp. At the far end the transition works in reverse. With wide angle optics the transition into and out of the zone can be itself pretty short, but even with telephoto lenses it can be hard to "see" the transition itself.

Craig, take that 14-140 lens and "explore" it. Forget needing or ordering special lenses or accessories, that lens will do what you need in the way of "Depth Of Field Control" if you will learn the concept then try to see by looking through the lens. See my previous post with the three "factors", and print those on a reference card. To see what your aperture is really doing to DOF use whatever DOF prevue button the GH2 has (I don't have that camera myself) so you can "see" the effect.

5. Collapse Details
    Ok, thanks

6. Collapse Details
    Three ways to get a fuzzy background behind your main subject (=shallow DoF):

1) back away and use your zoom at the telephoto end

2) Get really, really close and use the wideangle end

3) switch to a fast prime like a 50mm f1.4 or 35mm f1.8

Which option you choose depends on the perspective effect that suits best.

In all three cases, have your aperture setting wide open.

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Once that 17mm f/0.95 Voigtlander lens is released, I think you'll be seeing a lot more "5D"-like shallow DOF from the GH2.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys ^^

I JUST Got my adapter so I'm playing around with my GH2 / Pentax 28mm 2.4 lens... it's BEAUTIFUL!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
    you should zoom in with the lens and move far back as possible to achieve shallow dof.
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Yes. This even worked on my DVX100 video camera. So it is solid advice.
    i hope you guys read Mr. Foreman's first post, above. he offered a very good explanation. the idea that you want to get as far away from your subject as possible to decrease DOF is a common misconception. DOF increases as your point of focus gets farther from the lens. and as you get further into the telephoto end of a lens, there are even fewer depth cues in your field of view, making the image very flat.

10. Collapse Details
    Most any fast prime 2.8 and below, will give you some great shallow dof. Just shoot wide open and close as possible to your subject and you're golden!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast