Thread: No DOF?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    No DOF?
    I took some pictures of myself today with an f-stop of 4 (the lowest I could get) with a ND4 filter, and there's no DOF from what I can see. Any idea what I am doing wrong? I was in Aperture (A) mode.

Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    what lens?

For a shot like that you need a telephoto lens... 85mm and above and u need to have the camera reasonable far from the subject at F2.8 and below. With an even longer lens you dont even need the iris to be that open. And to be technically correct...the shot as deep DOF. So yes it does have DOF just not shallow DOF as you would like
    Last edited by jambredz; 03-13-2012 at 08:29 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I mean to post that, sorry!

14-140mm kit lens, was zoomed in to 32mm

4. Collapse Details
    You can clearly see blur beginning around the first section of road directly behind the truck. DoF has many variables including distance to subject, focal length and of course f stop.

5. Collapse Details
    So, if I moved the camera closer to myself (it was about 6ft away) it would work better?

6. Collapse Details
    you should zoom in with the lens and move far back as possible to achieve shallow dof.

7. Collapse Details
    As someone above mentioned, Depth Of Field has variable factors that apply.

Yes, if you moved the camera closer that would help but what is working against you (for shallow DOF) is the focal length you are using. With short focal lengths (wide angle and wide angle zone of a lens like that 14-140) the way spatial relationships are rendered tend to make it look like you have fairly "deep" DOF.

For what you want get the lens to the 50+ (out to 100 or so, but 50 should work), move the camera in fairly close to compose the head and shoulders aspect you want and you should see a shallower zone of accptable sharpness at about f4 (I've seen it done at f5.6).

The factors that apply:

Lens focal length (wide gives apparent deep DOF, long makes it shallower)

Distance from camera to subject (closer makes zone shallower, farther makes the zone deeper)

Distance from subject to background elements (more distance makes background go more out of focus, less distance does just the opposite.

Hope this helps.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
    you should zoom in with the lens and move far back as possible to achieve shallow dof.
    Yes. This even worked on my DVX100 video camera. So it is solid advice.

9. Collapse Details
    Ok, thanks a lot!

I'm also trying to get deep DOF with wide angle lens (I've seen it done) though I'm thinking I just need a special lens for that, kit lens can't provide that. Is this correct?

I ordered an adapter to use some 2.8 Pentax lens, any idea if they will work?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigsnedeker View Post
    Ok, thanks a lot!

I'm also trying to get deep DOF with wide angle lens (I've seen it done) though I'm thinking I just need a special lens for that, kit lens can't provide that. Is this correct?
    I think you're meaning shallow DOF, not deep DOF. If you're talking about a subject being in sharp focus and the background being soft and out of focus, that is shallow DOF. To achieve that with a wide angle lens, a fast aperture helps, but it can be done with the kit lens. You just need to have your subject very close to the lens. The closer you set your focus, the shallower the DOF gets. So, with the max aperture of the kits lens at f4, the only way to get decent shallow DOF of a person is to have a close-up of them standing a foot or so from the lens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast