1. Collapse Details
    'nother music video shot on the GH2 - snow, woods, music...
    This music video was shot in a few snowy hours with the GH2. Lumix 20mm, Nikkor 35mm. I don't know what the weather-proofing of the GH2 is supposed to be, but it never missed a beat and quite a bit of snow fell on it. I don't usually like music videos conceptually or visually, so this is maybe not the typical look, but it's still, y'know, pretty fast cutting and all.

http://youtu.be/MUoL4yRv_-g

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHarriger View Post
    I don't usually like music videos conceptually or visually, so this is maybe not the typical look, but it's still, y'know, pretty fast cutting and all.
    I liked it. With you on the music video thing, but what makes your video work, and many others not, is that the "sound" of the music manages to match the acoustic space seen in the video. Whether a happy accident or smart preproduction, that's what cheered me.

So often I see slickly shot videos that immediately fall down as the vocal enters, with this huge clash of the aural information and the visually perceived space.

Back in the day (and perhaps they still do) we would make multiple mixes of a song that included one for the up-and-coming video. Usually three or four stems with dry vocals so that the video editor could match up the sound to the picture.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

3. Collapse Details
    Great job!

4. Collapse Details
    Awesome job, I loved the use of the photos in the edit. That was a very cool idea. I think another location could have added to the production value, maybe some actors playing out what they're singing about. Not needed though, just an observation.

Nice work! The song was good too.

5. Collapse Details
    Yes i liked it a lot,vivid film like color without being garish,was that achieved in post or was the GH2 set for that look.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the kind words, folks!

flinty - I think I was set on Smooth mode with +1 saturation, and then post from there. It's always a tricky balance between getting the kind of color saturation I like (and I like quite a bit) and not being garish, as you said.

7. Collapse Details
    stone..
    We had a pretty good basic plan, but happy accidents ABOUND.

Being especially slick is something I could never pull off without it being terrible, like I'm just doing an impersonation. Fact is this band and I have been friends for years, so we feel comfortable knowing there won't be a clash of aesthetic wills or something. Their music is very direct and personal emotionally, and they have fun making it. Anything that takes away from that would be a failure, however stylish. I like drawing up shooting plans to music and cutting to music, and it's fun to move fast and try to maintain some energy. It recharges my batteries. Anyway, a music video should be servicing the song, and I guess some of the ones I don't like much -- they certainly have a lot of attitude on display, and maybe that's what the song is trying to get across, too, so objectively they're a success, but subjectively just not my thing. I would never be able to do a video for a metal song, say, just way out of my wheel-house.

8. Collapse Details
    I like the close up shots of the band. I think that the wide shots could have used some movement, but overall it looks good. I love the location, but would have liked to see more!
    I'll be filming a music video this April with the GH2 and will share when it's finished. Follow this link to find out more about the project!
    http://www.indiegogo.com/As-Artifact...ns-Music-Video

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks, TMIreland. I had a cut emphasizing more movement - obviously those shots are those shots, and the compositions don't really allow movement - but with each slight revision I took more and more movement out because I just like to look at a particular full frame shot for a few seconds, even in a music video, but I do get your point. If anything for my ego I just wish I had a couple more wider angles, as my plan going in had a lot more static set-ups with pretty particular blocking, but time was of the essence and more likely than not that's all for the better. I like the location, too, but to paraphrase Robert Rodriguez w/r/t From Dusk Til Dawn: if it's about the Titty Twister, it's not about anything. (and they BUILT that)