1. Collapse Details
    4:2:2 while monitoring?
    When connecting my FS100 to my 37'' LED Panasonic am i viewing a 4:2:2 image?

The reason I ask is because I was shooting and monitoring some test footage today on my Panasonic. Once i brought the footage into premiere I could notice a difference between what I was monitoring and what was recorded.
    And to clarify I also viewed the footage on the same monitor when editing it.

Thank you,

Aaron

2. Collapse Details
    .....and that difference was???? ;-)
    FCP 7.0, PP 6, MacPro Octo 2.8, MBPro, EX1, MXO2, Sachtler FSB6

3. Collapse Details
    Sharpness and the color rendition seemed better. I guess I answered my own question, but I was curious if someone with the technical knowledge knew the answer.

4. Collapse Details
    Are you editing at half resolution, in other words, does the image get sharper when you pause it?
    Bill Totolo
    DP/LA

http://alphasonic.net

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mraaron895 View Post
    When connecting my FS100 to my 37'' LED Panasonic am i viewing a 4:2:2 image?
    Yes, the FS100 outputs 4:2:2 and records AVCHD at 4:2:0.

However the difference isn't necessarily very noticeable, as the FS100's AVCHD is very good. See:

http://crookedpathfilms.com/blog/201...s-ninja-tests/

Note that in this test:

http://prepostconsulting.com/en/engl...mparison-test/

the tester found AVCHD to be less sharp, but subsequently found that the poor quality from the AVCHD was due to an ingestion problem causing interlacing artifacts. So I wonder if maybe you're seeing a similar issue?

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I should clarify that the image I got off my cards (AVCHD) looks superb! But the monitored 4:2:2 image looked much cleaner. I have CS5 so everything plays nicely together so it wasn't a codec or resolution issue .

However the reason I asked this question in the first place was because I've read that only certain recorders can record the 4:2:2 image, such as the Ninja by pulldown method. I was simply wondering if the communication between my camera and monitor automatiaclly do this to achieve a 4:2:2 image.

Thank again,

Aaron

7. Collapse Details
    There's no "pulldown" for 4:2:2. 4:2:2 just means there's more colour detail. Your monitor ought to display it no problem.

Are you using the same monitor in Premiere? If you are, and it looks worse than the live signal, then I really would suspect that there's a settings mismatch... like recording progressive but editing interlaced, or something.

Do check out the second link I posted above. That guy was using Premiere too, and he still got messed up somehow.

8. Collapse Details
    Hmmm according to this forum http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/in.../t-245172.html devices such as the ninja can't record a direct 24P hdmi out signal. They record it as a 60i then you have to tell your editing system to pull out frames to get back to 24P

9. Collapse Details
    Thats true, but 4:2:2 has nothing to do with frame rate. 4:2:2 is the Chroma Subsampling Ratio.

Also are you viewing the shots in Premier on your Panasonic LED? If your viewing it on a computer monitor, then thats also another reason the footage looks different. TVs such as LEDs display colorspace in r.709 and your monitor is probably something near sRGB, so your going to get a different looking image on different displays.

10. Collapse Details
    Yes I'm viewing the footage thru premiere on my Panasonic. I also have an older 28in hannsG LCD monitor which is terribly inaccurate with color and contrast reproduction. I bought an led tv to have a more accurate representation of what my final output would be.

I should stress again that the footage looks awesome both from the avchd encode and the live feed. My original question should have been does the tv automatically apply pull down via hdmi so that I'm viewing a 4:2:2 24P Image.