1. Collapse Details
    Strengths of the HMC150
    Perhaps downgrade isn't the right term, but I'm looking at selling my Sony EX1r and picking up a camcorder in the $3K range. (Trying to save up for some specialized audio equipment.) Ergonomics, image, versatility of the 150 look good to me (also looking at the Canon XF100) for the price. So I guess this question is for anyone familiar with both the EX1r and the HMC150. What kind of tradeoffs am I looking at, and what are the relative strengths of the HMC150? I use camcorders for indoor talking head interviews (lit with a lowel 2 light kit) and outdoor action sequences (boating, rodeo, snowmobilies). I know it's apples and oranges on many levels, but any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

2. Collapse Details
    I own the 150 but overall think the ex1 image is superior.

3. Collapse Details
    The EX-1 is sharper and overall its optics are better. But, I think the Panasonic mojo looks much better out of the box than Sony's. Colors just feel better. Granted, you can you tweak the EX-1 with custom picture profiles, but out of the box, the HMC-150 looks really solid.

Other benefits are the ability to record on relatively cheap SD cards instead of expensive SxS.

4. Collapse Details
    id spring for the ac 130 over the 150

your really gonna kick yourself going from an ex1r to the 150 as far as image quality goes

5. Collapse Details
    Sooo yes, these are different beasts..

SxS can be adapted to SD so no difference there.. Light sensitivity is similar.. Image is definitely different. EX1r is sharp and realistic, any panasonic will be more cinematic looking and softer. HMC150 is much lighter and little smaller.

HUGE difference is the on-board LCD. Dont plan on using the HMC150 LCD if you are use to the ex1r.. You will want an external (and now your back up to close ex1r price).

If you go 130/160/150 new you really aren't saving that much money..? Depending on your needs you may want to go DSLR! (yes i just said that, i know). 5Dm3 is looking good..
    Last edited by MadHMC150; 03-12-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    arsenal: Panasonic HMC150 x2 - GH1 - Canon 7D - Halo Rig HD & Mini - Arri lights - Comer LEDs - Chroma-Key - Jib - Dolly
    Every videographer should have access to quality camera gear, use coupon code "DVXUSER" to get 10% any purchase today!

DVXuser Sponsor:

6. Collapse Details
    I have a 150, 100, and gh2 and still use each of them for their individual strengths. I would definitely get the 130, the dual recording to sd cards is priceless.

7. Collapse Details
    The hmc kicks all the others in flash and/or motion intensive work because it's a Ccd. No jello and no strobe anomalies. But for controlled interviews the others have resolution edge. But I get very nice interview shots and I'll bet you that few if any clients will be able to tell if you light it and process your shots right. The cam is light, reliable and you can have two for less than 1 ex1r. I think new they're selling around $2800.

8. Collapse Details
    Good advice above. The HMC is a great value. LCD is the worst part. Lightweight is the best part. I looked at the XF100 and the image in 720p was not that much if any better than the HMC. It felt like a toy camera. Tough choice and you should really know what you can get for a sale of the EX-1r as it might not be what you want. My EX-1 sold for a lot less than I wanted/expected. GH2 for interviews would be a good choice and HMC for action - 720p60. This is what I often do.