Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by james thorpe View Post
    Guessing they will have to at least keep the low-light. Everything has to be above the MkIII and lowlight is the one area that cam excels.
    I expect a 'C-level (cinema) cam' to all have superior resolution. Latitude....not sure. My guess. Trying to figure out where this cam will be amidst the FS100/FS700 and Panasonic
    offerings coming out.

The easiest route to a C100, which has to be more limited than a C300, is to attach a fixed lens that will be a compromise offering less than interchangeable lenses can with respect to low light capacity and focal length. Then they could use the same core camera without canabalizing C300 sales to more demanding pros.
    Last edited by philiplipetz; 04-11-2012 at 08:09 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    That's what i told someone last night... fixed lens... he thought no way...

3. Collapse Details
    I have a really hard time believing a fixed lens camera would be coming. This is the "Cinema EOS" division.
    formerly know as grimepoch.

4. Collapse Details
    Yea, I would think Canon would rather shift a bunch of lenses and find another way to product tier.

Either the C300 sensor/architecture in a DSLR format, or a very stripped down C300 (no LCD, top handle, xlrs, HD-sdi, 1 x CF, genlock etc).
    stylecreative.net - Designer/Video/Music bloke

5. Collapse Details
    Well, rumor has it 2 cameras are coming. A 4k with a rumored EosRAW format that can record to compact flash, and a smaller C100 type camera. It's only a couple days away until we know. If EosRaw does hit, it's only a matter of time before it's in all Canons.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burnett View Post
    I have a really hard time believing a fixed lens camera would be coming. This is the "Cinema EOS" division.
    Yeah, agree. A MkIII is interchangeable so, this cam has to be above all the offerings of a MkIII.
    Canon loves to sell lenses. Thats their emphasis moreso.

So they want to appeal to the percentage of dSLR users/smaller-indie types who are interested in jumping to Cinema but not the C300.
    I think this will be a hard-win with what the competition will be offering. This is a bigger market then the bigger budget types.
    Hope they do it right.

7. Collapse Details
    fixed lens doesn't make sense, adding an expensive piece of glass in front of the camera is not the way to sell it for less money, unless you're ready to tell your customers that you're actively milking them; as in: you know that expensive piece of glass in front of the C100? if you give us $5K more we'll just put an EF mount in its place... (it wouldn't be new, though: you know the OLPF filter in the D800? if you give us $300 more we won't put it in the camera...)

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    fixed lens doesn't make sense, adding an expensive piece of glass in front of the camera is not the way to sell it for less money
    And yet, historically, that's exactly what they've done. The XHA1 to the XLH1, the GL2 to the XL2, etc.

May seem counterintuitive, but the volume you sell products at has infinitely more to do with how cheap you can make them, than the seeming cost of goods sold. Which is exemplified by your next point:

you know the OLPF filter in the D800? if you give us $300 more we won't put it in the camera...)
    Exactly. They're going to sell a hundred D800s for every D800E that they sell. So the $2 cost of the OLPF is utterly irrelevant in context with the quantity of units sold and the necessity to create a new model, a different production line, different packaging, different marketing, stocking a different SKU number, educating dealers and customers on the difference -- of course the D800E costs more.

9. Collapse Details
    http://www.eoshd.com/content/7846/ca...-1d-full-specs

Canon are due to issue a press release ahead of NAB. What my source says about the new cameras is pretty extraordinary even in light of what Sony are doing with the FS700.
    Canon will release a C500 for $25,000.
    This is designed to be an Epic killer.
    It is 4K at 120fps with EOS RAW via 3G HD-SDI. Officially certified raw recording deck solutions are being provided by Blackmagic and AJA.
    At 60 fps EOS RAW from the C500 is 12 bit. This drops to a still impressive 10 bit at 120p.
    The C500 also pumps out 1080p, 2K and Quad HD.

And now for the 4K DSLR…

Costing $10k. This does ALL-I, IPB and MJPEG 4K.
    Both the C500 and 4K EOS DSLR have log profiles.
    Another feature is that it has a Super 35mm crop mode (like the D800 with DX crop mode) for compatibility with cinema lenses.

There’s also going to be 2 new zooms. Lightweight 2kg PL and EF mount cinema lenses. The first is a 15.5-47mm T2.2 and the second a 30-105mm T2.2. These are pricey cinema lenses at the $15,000 mark.

More news to follow.
    www.kahl-one.com
    @KahL_One
    CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY

10. Collapse Details
    About the DSLR- Hoping the ALL I is much better than what people have been seeing from the MK3. Also wonder how this will compete with the FS700, seeing as the FS700 has ND filters, professional audio inputs and controls, so many things really....wonder what the Canon has in the way of bells and whistles for 2 thousand more than the Sony

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast