Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Cool, I'll give it a shot this weekend on my D7000! Maybe do a comparison to the other styles I posted, too.

2. Collapse Details
    I experimented with the custom curve feature in picture control utility on my D700. For testing I created an extreme custom curve that would be immediately recognizable. It seems that the custom curve is not applied in-camera even though it is definitely in the picture control file and works with View/Capture NX2. It just doesn't appear to apply it to JPEG files in the camera. Does the D800 also work (or, not work) this way? For video especially, it would be nice if the custom curve were applied in-camera before conversion to 8-bit video.

I'm interested in the D800 video capabilities and would like to know if picture control custom curves are processed in-camera. It would be great if they were. Unfortunately nobody has been able to answer this question so far on the various forums I've posted to.

If anybody has a D800 and could test this out with video I'd be very grateful. An easy way to test it is to create a custom curve that looks like a sine wave where mid-shadows are raised and mid-highlights are lowered (sort of a sideways S curve). Such a curve makes images look sort of posterized, so they are very easy to see.

3. Collapse Details
    Here's a picture control file that has the type of custom curve I'm talking about.
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrandin View Post
    I experimented with the custom curve feature in picture control utility on my D700. For testing I created an extreme custom curve that would be immediately recognizable. It seems that the custom curve is not applied in-camera even though it is definitely in the picture control file and works with View/Capture NX2. It just doesn't appear to apply it to JPEG files in the camera. Does the D800 also work (or, not work) this way? For video especially, it would be nice if the custom curve were applied in-camera before conversion to 8-bit video.

I'm interested in the D800 video capabilities and would like to know if picture control custom curves are processed in-camera. It would be great if they were. Unfortunately nobody has been able to answer this question so far on the various forums I've posted to.

If anybody has a D800 and could test this out with video I'd be very grateful. An easy way to test it is to create a custom curve that looks like a sine wave where mid-shadows are raised and mid-highlights are lowered (sort of a sideways S curve). Such a curve makes images look sort of posterized, so they are very easy to see.
    It's supposed to apply the curves to JPGs, just like Portrait, Landscape, Vivid, etc. They're all the same kind of file. Have you tried in-camera editing, using your custom curve?

5. Collapse Details
    I figured it out - it turns out that the curve is not applied unless active D lighting is turned off. Hopefully, the curve works in video mode with the D800.

6. Collapse Details
    the curves should be applied to RAW data to create JPG files, but it seems they are actually applied over a simplified (transformed) version of the original data

this is the test (shot by Latyshev on a D800), maybe somebody else can find a different plausible explanation: http://vimeo.com/39543745

I'll ask Latyshev to shoot a video test with Flaat_13p_beta1 and take a RAW still with the same settings; that way we could see if images are processed differently in-camera and in-viewNX2

edit: it would be great if everything could be solved by switching D-Lighting off...
    Last edited by Samuel H; 03-31-2012 at 03:05 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    I assume image data would pretty much have to be converted to YUV format before applying curves, saturation adjustments, etc... Hopefully, though, the reduction to 8 bits per channel happens afterwards.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    the curves should be applied to RAW data to create JPG files, but it seems they are actually applied over a simplified (transformed) version of the original data

this is the test (shot by Latyshev on a D800), maybe somebody else can find a different plausible explanation: http://vimeo.com/39543745

I'll ask Latyshev to shoot a video test with Flaat_13p_beta1 and take a RAW still with the same settings; that way we could see if images are processed differently in-camera and in-viewNX2

edit: it would be great if everything could be solved by switching D-Lighting off...
    Yo ya lo dije... lalalralalalaaaa ;)

9. Collapse Details
    @macgregor: malditos roedores...

in my defense, in theory there's nothing that precludes the successful use of curves to get, in video mode, all the DR that the sensor captures in RAW stills
    the only reason this is not working so far is the dumb implementation by Canon (with a mandatory hard clip that leaves you only 11.5 stops of DR to play with; hopefully ML can move this clipping point, I'm playing with that today) and Nikon (with something that seems pretty similar, a bit wider but with very little color depth in the shadows, and with different image processing in-camera and in-PC)

but yes, so far, you're right (and I know you'll agree with me that this is bad news)

10. Collapse Details
    Samuel, it's not really such a dumb clip (and I'd be surprised if the clip even allows 11.5 stops out of the camera). Trying to compress 13.5 stops, which people seem to be saying the sensor can provide, w/ an 8-bit codec is not a good idea, as it would be susceptible to banding.

Also video displays don't have that kind of dynamic range, which means opening wide the Pandora's Box of display LUTS to get the display to be WYSIWYG.

But thanks a lot for your efforts and you might find a way through a hack like you mentioned. Thanks again!
    Jan vs Jim... I'm putting my $ on the Jersey Girl.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast