Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    D-Lighting Curves and video?
    Hey guys,

Does anyone know if you can apply the D-Lighting curves in Nikon cameras to the video footage you record? It's such a great curve for pulling up shadows in still images, I figure it'd be superb for video purposes.

Can anyone with a video-capable Nikon DSLR comment on this? (I've only got a D300)

Cheers

2. Collapse Details
    Nope, you can't.
    Sorry.

3. Collapse Details
    Poop.

4. Collapse Details
    The closest thing you can do is shoot RAW + JPG, go into Capture NX with the RAW, turn off D-lighting in the settings, and tweak the curve so the RAW matches the appearance of the corresponding JPG. Then make a custom Picture Control curve in View NX based on that curve you just made.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bomber View Post
    The closest thing you can do is shoot RAW + JPG, go into Capture NX with the RAW, turn off D-lighting in the settings, and tweak the curve so the RAW matches the appearance of the corresponding JPG. Then make a custom Picture Control curve in View NX based on that curve you just made.
    Is it possible to transfer custom curves from Capture NX into the camera's picture profile settings? If so, that might just work.

6. Collapse Details
    It should be possible
    See here:

http://www.dpnotes.com/how-to-use-th...ntrol-utility/

it is a guide on editing custom tone curve and downloading it to camera.
    I assume it can be used for video as well, at least Nikon says that custom picture controls can be used for video on D800.
    Hopefully that includes tone curves.

Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Is it possible to transfer custom curves from Capture NX into the camera's picture profile settings? If so, that might just work.

7. Collapse Details
    I am VERY VERY interested in this - since Canon DSLRs are limited to 11.5 stops of DR in software (picture styles won't take you any further, no matter how hard you try, so DR is the same in the 5D3 and the T2i), and the D800 scored 14 stops of DR in the dxomark tests, I would LOVE to make a version of my Flaat picture styles for the D800 - can anybody confirm that custom picture controls work in video mode in the D800?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    I am VERY VERY interested in this - since Canon DSLRs are limited to 11.5 stops of DR in software (picture styles won't take you any further, no matter how hard you try, so DR is the same in the 5D3 and the T2i), and the D800 scored 14 stops of DR in the dxomark tests, I would LOVE to make a version of my Flaat picture styles for the D800 - can anybody confirm that custom picture controls work in video mode in the D800?
    I don't have a d800, so I can't confirm 100%, but all newer Nikon DSLRs have this feature, so I would be VERY surprised if it isn't in the D800.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    Would be great if you could create some custom picture styles for Nikon. Hope you give it a try

10. Collapse Details
    I've got the software already, and I've been playing with it, so now I have a reasonably accurate idea of what I can do with it and what I can't, how to export the file, what will it look like in the camera, etc

the good news: lots of nice surprises, e.g. learning that you can carry as many picture controls in your card as you want (well, I think it's 100, but compared with Canon's 3 that's infinity); that's nice, considering the Flaat suite of picture styles has 8 members (and if I can get the 14 stops of the D800 to shine in video mode it would be a family of 12)

the bad news: I'm not sure this thing may actually increase dynamic range above a certain threshold: it may have the same limitations of Canon's picture styles, which clip several stops of DR in the shadows no matter what you do - we'll see...

next step: get a bunch of very specific (but very easy to shoot too) RAW stills taken with the D800 (starting with a D7000 would work too)

then, work for 5 or 6 hours, then, if all goes well, release suite of picture controls for Nikon DSLRs

so: I need a D800 or D7000 user, write to similaar.feedback at gmail.com if you have interest in this and some time to spare (threat: if I don't get any messages, I'll start bugging people...)

and even if you don't have that much time: quick question: which basic picture styles do you Nikon users like most? Neutral? Standard?
    Last edited by Samuel H; 03-27-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast