1. Collapse Details
    Extrenal Mic Help
    Hey,

So I am shooting a pilot that will be outside and inside. I definitely feel the need for an external mic that is on a boom pole. I am on a low budget and have these two mics available to use, The SM58 and the Optimus. My camera is the Ag DVX100. My question is, are these mic's compatible with the Ag DVX100 and what can I expect from these mics, when shooting inside and outside. You're help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

2. Collapse Details
    I'm from Iowa--I only work in outer space
    The SM58, although a solid mic, is designed to be handheld and very close to a person's mouth; therefore, it is not suitable for boom use. Don't know exactly what you mean by "Optimus," but the Google results lead me to believe that it's probably not even a solid mic to start with.

Typically, a production of the type you're talking about would (at the very least) have one mic to be used indoors and one outdoors; some might even have multiple mics to choose from for each scenario.

You might take a look around the Location Audio forum here at DVX User, particularly the "Audio 101" sticky, to get more info.
    The Plinkett Equation:

TOS16 + TNG5 + DS94 + VOY11 + ENT 8
    __________________________________________________ = History is changing every 23 millionths of a second

F649 + Alp987 + Bet934 + Gam764 + Del837 * 100,000,000,000

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the reply. I think it comes down to just buying a better external mic. I, also, ran across a few more questions if you don't mind me asking. Is it bad to use the Ag DVX100 Internal mic along with an external mic. If it is not, is there certain setting I should change in the "Recording Setup" to make it sound good. My concern is that the sounds may not sync well together. Any kind of advice will help. Thanks in advanced.

4. Collapse Details
    It's not "bad" to use the built-in mic as well as an external, the problems are that A) it's not a great mic to start with and B) it's way too far away to be useful even if it was the best mic in the world. I don't think there are any settings that can improve it, you just set one channel to the external, and the other channel to the internal with the switches under the LCD, and go.

Another thing that people often do with the DVX is send one external mic to both L and R but do so at different levels, so that if the main track gets overloaded by something that's louder than expected, the softer backup track can be used.
    The Plinkett Equation:

__________________________________________________ = History is changing every 23 millionths of a second

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks this is really helpful. So what you are saying is put Input 1 at (L) and Input 2 at (R) and have BOTH the channels on MIC? or just the channel that the MIC is plugged into? Also, by different levels do you mean keeping one at -50db and putting the other one at -60db ?

6. Collapse Details
    I agree with the advice of keeping things simple by running one external mic to both L and R,with different levels.

But, if the external mic is a shotgun mic the narrow focus of the mic will cut out a lot/most of the back and side noise but not noise that comes from behind the focus of your recording.

Success with recordings IMO require mastery of lighting, sound, and camera in that order, plus creative input. I have trouble with all four areas - there is only so much a one-person-show can do with limited equipment.

7. Collapse Details
    I think the -50/-60dB setting in the menu is too big of a difference. The way I understand, people just run with the input level of one channel a little lower than the other using the two dials below the LCD.
    The Plinkett Equation:

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks I figured it out and got great sound in return. I appreciate all the help.