1. Collapse Details
    Do you convert 960x720 to 1280x720?
    Bronze Member
    I just seen that the files from this camera are not 1280x720 and are 960x720. Do you usually just import it like this or re encode?

Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    Shallow Member William_Robinette's Avatar
    The pixel aspect isn't 1:1 for DVCproHD. Your editing system should know this and use the appropriate aspect ratio to display it at 1280x720. You do not need to re-encode the footage.

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by William_Robinette View Post
    The pixel aspect isn't 1:1 for DVCproHD. Your editing system should know this and use the appropriate aspect ratio to display it at 1280x720. You do not need to re-encode the footage.
    'Thanks for the quick reply, but maybe I did not ask the question properly. I have footage that was recorded at 960x720 which I will be working with. Now to my understanding HD is at least 1280x720. So do I set up my timeline for 1280x720 or just work with 960x720 and then export it to 1280x720?
    Or do I just leave it at 960x720p?

I have seen several final projects from people that are at 1280x720 and wanted to know if this is what they were doing?

Thanks

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Well, first it helps to know what NLE you're using. But, say, in Premiere, you simply pick the correct preset that matches your footage and export to 1280x720 on your final out. It's that simple.

5. Collapse Details
    Shallow Member William_Robinette's Avatar
    If your output is 1280x720 then that's what you want your timeline at and you are going to want your NLE to change the footage's aspect ratio to match that.

You want your project aspect ratio to be 1:1 and then the footage aspect to be whatever it has to be to match that 1:1. This way any other assets (graphics, pictures, titles) you import will display natively just fine.

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
    Well, first it helps to know what NLE you're using. But, say, in Premiere, you simply pick the correct preset that matches your footage and export to 1280x720 on your final out. It's that simple.
    Final Cut Pro. The footage is at 960x720 , so if I make the FCP timeline at 1280x720 I would imagine this would slightly stretch my footage, since it is not 1280 and is 960?

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I would just import the footage, then drag it into a sequence, and when FCP asks you if you want to match the Sequence settings with your footage, tell it "Yes".

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Thanks for the help, but this would just make it 960x720 since it would be matching the original footage. My question I guess really was is this camera to my understanding does not record 1280x720 and records 960x720 so when I see users on vimeo with a 1280x720 project I would assume it's because they just made it that size through software, correct?

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    You export it as 1280x720. That's when the conversion happens.

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
    You export it as 1280x720. That's when the conversion happens.

Thank you for the help!!