Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Yes, you are completely, certifiably, without question, NUTS.

Now go do it.

2. Collapse Details
    Everybody makes fun of the HMC40 but when it is used carefully it can put out quality equal to cameras that cost 4x as much. A camera is just a tool and way too many people put way too much emphasis on what camera they use. I see so many Canon 7D users think they are killer film makers just based on the fact that they have a 7D. When I first started it was the Canon XL1 that made the film students cool.

At the end of the day the people that really matter don't understand the difference between SD and HD let alone what camera was used. You are not making a movie for BBC engineers to dissect but for average people to enjoy.

I hope you do make a movie with your hmc-40 that blows people away and leaves the Canon guys scratching their heads. Of course they will never accept it for the same reason Mac users still think PC users have no way of editing video or adjusting photographs.

Don't let the low light get you down either. Nobody in Hollywood, ok no true professional in Hollywood, would ever shoot a drama production without truck loads of lights used to sculpt the scene. There is way too much obsession with low light performance of cameras. If you want to shoot stuff run and gun or shoot city scenes without asking for permission then sure a good low light camera helps but if you are planning your shots take an extra 30 minutes to light it. Really practice your lighting skills in your locations and get a couple ND filters to help with bright outdoor shooting and you will be fine.

3. Collapse Details
    If you know what you're doing, you can make a brilliant feature film on a mobile phone. Acting and script are king, and knowledge of what is and isn't possible in post helps.

If there's limitations, use the limitations creatively, and generate an aesthetic to match. I'd rather see what Picasso can do with a crayon than what the kid next door can do with an Arri Alexa.

4. Collapse Details
    2 of my favorite movies of the past couple years are RACHEL GETTING MARRIED and ONCE.

both shot on video, no 35mm sensor, not your typical naturalistic, cinematic cinematography. you could argue that they're downright ugly.

simple, elegant script, and honest acting, and a video camera. that's all you need to make a good movie. and audio, of course!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
    Yes, you are completely, certifiably, without question, NUTS.

Now go do it.
    lol

6. Collapse Details
    I forgot about that film. Once is a great example of 'content is king'.

7. Collapse Details
    Content is king, but so is having marketable name actors....
    "That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again."
    http://www.robmneilson.com

8. Collapse Details
    I don't feel you're crazy at all...this camera is better than you and many others think. I think you should pick up Barry Green's The HMC Book. It will give you a lot of information about your camera that you won't be able to pick up on your own. It will definitely help you to use your camera better and be more confident in making your movie.

For inspiration take a look at Vimeo and look up some of the videos shot with the HMC40. No, it doesn't have a huge chip, but this camera is well worth the money you've spent on it. Use it in good health.

9. Collapse Details
    Haven't been on in a while. Yeah, we're sticking with the HMC40. I just bought the panasonic wide lens for it. Works great. I have three 500w light kit, did tests tonight. Everything looks great. Using home-depot tin lights with 75w bulbs to light background stuff. Everything is looking good so far. Weekend warrior filming will begin sooooooon.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    Everybody makes fun of the HMC40 but when it is used carefully it can put out quality equal to cameras that cost 4x as much. A camera is just a tool and way too many people put way too much emphasis on what camera they use. I see so many Canon 7D users think they are killer film makers just based on the fact that they have a 7D. When I first started it was the Canon XL1 that made the film students cool.

At the end of the day the people that really matter don't understand the difference between SD and HD let alone what camera was used. You are not making a movie for BBC engineers to dissect but for average people to enjoy.

I hope you do make a movie with your hmc-40 that blows people away and leaves the Canon guys scratching their heads. Of course they will never accept it for the same reason Mac users still think PC users have no way of editing video or adjusting photographs.

Don't let the low light get you down either. Nobody in Hollywood, ok no true professional in Hollywood, would ever shoot a drama production without truck loads of lights used to sculpt the scene. There is way too much obsession with low light performance of cameras. If you want to shoot stuff run and gun or shoot city scenes without asking for permission then sure a good low light camera helps but if you are planning your shots take an extra 30 minutes to light it. Really practice your lighting skills in your locations and get a couple ND filters to help with bright outdoor shooting and you will be fine.
    Well said. I second EVERYTHING Tom said here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast