1. Collapse Details
    Sony Vegas visual levels (preview/rendering)
    Hey,
    so Ive come across this situation in Vegas that the preview window displays the video and colors (gamma, brightness etc.) in a certain level, which looks good. But once rendered, the video gets abit too dark and looks nothing like the preview.
    Just wondering is this because of the rendering format, or what, since Ive tried various formats? Aren't these programs suppose to render the video as you see it in the preview.

2. Collapse Details
    How are you making this judgement (i.e.what are you viewing it on)?
    Due to gamma differences, a computer monitor, especially if it's not calibrated, is not a good place to accurately judge these things nor is a typical consumer TV set.
    Various media players (i.e. VLC, QuickTime, Windows Media Player) all have their quirks as well.
    I have calibrated broadcast-grade NTSC monitors (less than $500) in my edit suites at work and I use those to make any critical judgements.

Mike

3. Collapse Details
    I know about the calibration, but then it should also have an effect on the sony vegas preview window since it's the same monitor all the time. I'm not switching any monitors or so, just the fact that after rendering the levels go up. I assume that then the problem has to be in the media players and their levels.

And I'm viewing it on an iMac screen, I'm only curious if anybody knows the reason why it changes.

4. Collapse Details
    Downbay,
    Have you read any of Glenn Chan's articles about Vegas color space? Here's a good place to start:
    http://www.glennchan.info/articles/v...lorspaces.html

There are few more dealing with more technical stuff on his site as well if you want to go deeper.

kairosmatt

5. Collapse Details
    Downbay,
    I've been having similar issues and there doesn't seem to be a simple solution. What I do know, and after a lot of experimentation, is that the preview window does not represent the final rendered video. You'll have better luck using an external monitor.

The other thing that matters is the source of your footage and what you're rendering out to. What camera or type of footage are you editing? And what are you rendering to?

I'm no expert here, but am having the same issues and trying to get to the bottom of this.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the tips.

Robert,
    the footage I'm editing is full HD and comes from Canon EOS 600D. And most of the time I'm rendering the footage to MP4, or similar to keep the size fairly low, but still maintaining the good quality. I've also noticed that if you render to WMV or similar the gammas go the opposite way, compared to the preview window.

I also have an external monitor but it makes no difference. This one seems to be a tricky one to figure out.

7. Collapse Details
    Hey man, did you ever sort this out? I'm having issues as well the vegas preview seems almost slightly over exposed compared to the same file played on Quick time and vlc.