1. Collapse Details
    HPX250 Shallow DoF
    Is there any way with the HPX250 to get a more shallow DoF look? For example, are there adapter and/or lenses that can be somehow mounted on the front to yeild the same shallow depth of field looks one might get with a video DLSR?

Thanks,

Dan

2. Collapse Details
    Yes, you can use a Letus Ultimate or Extreme, or a Cinevate Brevis, or an SG Pro or any of a large number of 35mm DOF adapters.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks. I checked on the price and that is out of my league.

4. Collapse Details
    There are tons of these for sale cheap and used in the marketplace. Check it out!

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks, I did check out the web and there appear to be some that are only a few hundred dollars. But that raises a couple of questions:

1. Do I have to be concerned about a loss of image quality if I use one of these adapters?

2. If the film lens used on an adapter is fast, say f/1.4, but the built in less of the video camera is only f/3.5 (for example), I am assuming that with an adapter the maximum f/stop is still 3.5, or is it somehow reduced even further to, say, f/5.6.

3. With these adapters is it possible to achieve the same film type look that one would get with a Panasonic GH2?

Thanks,

Dan

6. Collapse Details
    Hi Dan,
    We've used the Letus Extreme before and they do produce quite a nice image. The image inherently will be softer due to the vibrating glass in the adapter but it allows for a more organic image without that super sharp video edge. My experience using this with the HVX200/Letus Extreme is that you must use fast glass with it. We used a Zeiss 50 1.4 and some older Nikkor f2 glass with beautiful results. I've actually got an extra adapter for sale if you're interested.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. At the moment my need is not immediate.

Dan

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by djkoz View Post
    Is there any way with the HPX250 to get a more shallow DoF look? For example, are there adapter and/or lenses that can be somehow mounted on the front to yeild the same shallow depth of field looks one might get with a video DLSR?

Thanks,

Dan
    The only problems I have heard with the 35mm adapters and the 250 is you don't get the full zoom range. The 22X zoom has some vignetting.