Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    The footage is too dark. If this is for a commercial for television , They would not accept the delivered product because of the exposure for one and also the length of your footage. They are usually pretty strict on that but I am assuming this is for a webmercial.
    Good Luck and I am sure you will figure it out. Take Care
    Philip Bloom Certified Cinematographer

2. Collapse Details
    Another vote for way to dark. I just took a quick peek and my first reaction was the footage looks like a mistake.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm glad I'm open to constructive critisism otherwise I think I'd be putting my gear up for sale right now lol - I'm going to make adjustments to the footage this evening to see what difference I can make based on what everyones said - which again, I really appreciate and I can definately say I'll think twice next time I say - "I think this will look cool". By desaturating it as much as I did, pretty much killed the light, I see that now.

I honestly don't know why I never really thought about how it looks under exposed - its funny, I've been a photographer for years and if any of those shots we're stills, I'd never post them looking like that - Why I didn't apply that logic to video is beyond me. The diagram really put it into persepective for me, thank you. As much as I hate to read that my video is below professional standard, I'd rather find out now from you guys and fix it than remain in the dark over the issues....pun intended. lol

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Subtext_MEG View Post
    I've been a photographer for years and if any of those shots we're stills, I'd never post them looking like that
    I started out as a professional studio photographer ( medium format / view camera ) for 10 years, before I ever touched video. Much of what works for photography can be applied to video work.

I strongly recommend using your still photo camera to pre-visualize your video shoots, where you can create a photo-storyboard that will help you focus on the framing and style of what you are going to shoot. If the shot doesn't work as a still photo, it will NEVER work as a video clip.
    Cameras : Panasonic GH4 with factory audio fix, GH3 with Grip
    OIS Zoom : Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8, Lumix 35-100mm f/2.8
    Nikon Primes : 24mm f/2.0, 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.4, 55mm f/2.8 Micro, 85mm f/2.0, 105mm f/2.8 Micro, 135mm f/2.8, 200mm f/4.0
    SpeedBoosters : Metabones Nikon G, Mitakon Zhongyi Nikon F

5. Collapse Details
    Hey dude, don't let these guys get you down. I definitely saw what you were going for with the blacks, and how I do agree that there were some issues with underexposure, I can't say that their "mistakes" were as bad as they are bringing them out to be. The only thing I noticed with your footage (I watched it at full res, and I'm assuming you compressed this for YouTube), is that the colors (what few there were), were pixelated and very noisy. I think that's where the underexposure comes into play. If you were shooting this on RED maybe you would be able to get away with it the way you shot it, but at full screen it looks grainy and pixelated. Nice work though. Stylistically I think it's great, however fine tuning your craft is why places like dvxuser exist.

Cheers

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    You can keep things dark, but pockets of light need to be somewhere. In no film, video, lighting class etc. have I ever seen a whole scene dar and it work, it just does not look pleasant to the eye. It needs some back lighting or rim lighting to sell the shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12