Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Red Rock LiveLens MFT Active Lens Mount Questions
    I did a couple of searches and I couldn't find the exact information to answer some questions.

#1- The Power cable that controls the iris can that be taken off when rolling the camera and just be put on when you want to change the aperture? Or does that power cable have to be on during all times?

#2- Besides a couple of Canon glass that doesn't work on it, how do the owners feel about the overall build quality, and performance? Any major flaws besides not having IS?

#3- For the shooters that have IS glass and can't use it, do you feel its worth spending the extra money to get the MTF adapter that comes with a larger then life game boy looking controller.

mtf-eos.jpg
    Video Producer - IATSE 891 Member Lamp Op

Gear: Panasonic AF-100, Canon 5D III (ON ORDER), HyperDeck Shuttle 2, RedRock Live Lens, ARRI Lighting Kit, SmallHD DP6-SDI, Cartoni Sticks, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Canon EF 16-35mm 2.8

http://www.bvkfilmsinc.com

2. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    BVK,

A few quick answers:

1. It is recommended to keep the power plugged in at all time for quick iris changes. The power module is just slightly bigger then the 9V it contains, so it's not too hard to find a place for it on your camera. When you unplug the unit the aperture blades will stay fixed at wherever they were last set to. However, when you plug the unit back in, the blades will pop back to wide open.

2. For what it's worth, I like the build quality

3. IS is really dependent on your shooting environment. If you're primarily on sticks, you'll leave it off as it can cause major harm to your image. I come from using Zeiss ZF lenses since back in the 35mm Adapter day (seems so long ago...) to which I then adapted to my 7D, so I've been getting along just fine without image stabilized glass.

Here's a video of a user reviewing the unit incase you haven't come across it in your travels:

Loren Simons
    Independent Filmmaker.
    The thoughts and feelings expressed here are my own and are not related to any company or corporation.

3. Collapse Details
    Loren,

Thank you very much for this information. That video is great, I couldn't find anything like that.

Here is my only concern with that cable and battery. With my monitor, external recorder, and a wireless lav on the camera is going to be jam packed with things hanging off it. I understand it's obviously not going to add a lot of weight which is good and it's way smaller then the MTF adapter.

Is there any kind of accessory that can make the cable neat and more attached to the camera. I could see that battery floppy around from time to time.
    Video Producer - IATSE 891 Member Lamp Op

Gear: Panasonic AF-100, Canon 5D III (ON ORDER), HyperDeck Shuttle 2, RedRock Live Lens, ARRI Lighting Kit, SmallHD DP6-SDI, Cartoni Sticks, Canon EF 50mm 1.4, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Canon EF 16-35mm 2.8

http://www.bvkfilmsinc.com

4. Collapse Details
    when you unpower the lens, the aperture stays where it was.

so far, all our lenses (all Canons) mount snuggly to the MFT adapter.

I would opt for a good steady mount for the camera and rails/support for longer
    lenses instead of IS. IS isn't really for video.

That said, I haven't seen used the MFT (edit ... should be MTF) adapter, so I really can't give you an accurate
    comparison. I've heard they're hard to come by in North America.

jeff
    Last edited by jmarkham; 02-22-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    On The Mark Media
    http://otm-rentals.com
    "Bokeh Schmokeh ... look at the girl!"

5. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    The power module comes with a tried and true mounting solution, or in other words, velcro.

As for wrangling the cable, we have microTies that will handle that nicely if you have a rail system.
    Loren Simons
    Independent Filmmaker.
    The thoughts and feelings expressed here are my own and are not related to any company or corporation.

6. Collapse Details
    Loren, In a future release, please consider putting a 1/4-20 thread on the battery box. Easier to mount it a little more securely that way.

Also, would it be possible for Redrock to make a DTap to LiveLens cable? It would probably have to drop the voltage down, unless the LiveLens can deal wit 14 volts.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenM View Post
    Loren, In a future release, please consider putting a 1/4-20 thread on the battery box. Easier to mount it a little more securely that way.

Also, would it be possible for Redrock to make a DTap to LiveLens cable? It would probably have to drop the voltage down, unless the LiveLens can deal wit 14 volts.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts.
    I used a DTap cable from my AB mount to the LiveLens. Runs great.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Any chance the shipping quote could be reduced to australia Loren? $150 your site is quoting.

9. Collapse Details
    DVXuser Sponsor
    GanEden,

Email sales@redrockmicro.com and they can assist you better on all aspects of direct quotes.

Stephen,

As chervas pointed out, you can slice and dice your own cable without the need of a regulator if your output falls in the 9V-24V range, which most sources are.
    Loren Simons
    Independent Filmmaker.

10. Collapse Details
    No Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Simons View Post
    GanEden,

Email sales@redrockmicro.com and they can assist you better on all aspects of direct quotes.

Stephen,

As chervas pointed out, you can slice and dice your own cable without the need of a regulator if your output falls in the 9V-24V range, which most sources are.
    Hi Loren,

I just got my Adapter and power cable after quite a wait, but nontheless i received it. Anyeays after I unpackaged , place d a battery in the cable and built my camera I came o the realization that no power was reaching the adapter. I checked three batteries, pushed in tight, powered up powered down. Has this been a problem in the past.

I was really looking forward to havin this for a shoot this weekend. Somthing is wrong with either the cable or the adapter. I gotta say this has been quite a tough and dissapointing experience. I haven't given up yet though. Hopefully redrock can make it right.

But again have you heard about this with your adapters, or cables?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast