See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    YOu got a good deal. I bought to mole !K's a couple years ago and they have been workhorses. Can't go wrong with used Mole Richardson or Arri!
    "That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again."
    http://www.robmneilson.com

2. Collapse Details
    Senior Member gonzo_entertainment's Avatar
    To replicate what I usually rented I need an additional about a 650 or a 500, but I can get by on this for most small gigs.

3. Collapse Details
    Congrats man! I just picked up my first two lights. A Diva and a used Arri 650. Can't wait to pick up a few more!

4. Collapse Details
    Check Pyramid weekly - and call them if you need something, they don't post everything on their site and they're good guys.

Before I shot a frame of video, I was a fashion shooter and started using cinema-techniques for lighting - trying to stand out, and I loved tungsten film for fashion stills.

I bought several theatrical Fresnels, 6", 500 - 1k. That was 20+ years ago and I use them for video to this day. If you're in a $$ pinch, keep an eye on eBay. I have a pile of rectangular open-faced lights with barn doors that were theatrical market - they are dynamite. I have "real" video lights in my rig now, but a fresnel is (pretty much) a fresnel. Some have so-so lenses, but decent ones for sixty bucks? Grab 'em.

5. Collapse Details
    Steak Knife Member David G. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo_entertainment View Post
    Well I did it. Bought a Midget and a Mini Mole for $300 Shipped and a 1K solar spot for $350 with extra bulbs. Tired of renting for small gigs.
    That is a score!.
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    -Orson Wells.

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."
    -Francis Ford Coppola.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12