1. Collapse Details
    Scene Files - Is this a bug?
    Okay, I've only had my AC130 for a couple of weeks. Out-of-the-box, if I step thru the Scene file dial, my display nicely displays the Scene File Name (FLUO., SPARK, etc.)

Through some test shots, I've found that (in order to reduce blown out whites), I eliminate this "problem" by turning DRS on. So, I modified my F1 Scene file to DRS ON, DRS EFFECT=2. Now if I turn the Scene File Dial from F1 to F2, the LCD displays "DRS OFF" rather than the Scene File Name (FLUO.) To further complicate this, I've created a custom F4 (MY_SCN) with DRS=ON. Moving from F3 to F4, displays "DRS ON" and dialing back to F3 displays "DRS OFF", rather than the Scene File Names.

Is this a bug?

...Jerry

2. Collapse Details
    I don't think it's a bug. Most likely what's happening is that the name of the scene file is being displayed for a split second but is then replaced by the DRS message. Either that or the DRS message just has priority over the scene file message.

I wouldn't really consider it a bug...at least not a major one.

3. Collapse Details
    Phil,

It would be much easier if the camera would display the scene file momentarily, but unfortunately it goes straight to DRS status. I'm a newbie with this camera. Maybe after some use I'll be able to associate F2 with "Inside Fluorescent", but until then, it would be really helpful if the scene file name would display.

...Jerry

4. Collapse Details
    Because DRS is such an huge influence on the image, it was decided to let you know when it was on. If DRS does not have anything to do, i.e. control dynamic range, it will just make you images noisy. Keep that in mind. Unless you have deep shadows to pull out along with those highlights, I might recommend controlling the highlight with exposure, or filters or framing.

Best regards,

Jan
    Jan Crittenden Livingston
    Panasonic System Communications Corporation
    Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan_Crittenden View Post
    Because DRS is such an huge influence on the image, it was decided to let you know when it was on. If DRS does not have anything to do, i.e. control dynamic range, it will just make you images noisy. Keep that in mind. Unless you have deep shadows to pull out along with those highlights, I might recommend controlling the highlight with exposure, or filters or framing.
    Okay, I can buy that. Here's the problem I was trying to correct - retain the detail in both the Swans & the Geese. I don't have a good apples to apples example with DRS=ON, but it seemed to correct the "problem" and I didn't notice any image degradation.

SwansAndGeese.jpg

Would it be a better solution to assign DRS=ON to USER3 & leave the scene files with DRS=OFF?

...Jerry

btw: I also experimented with "KNEE", but the effect was not as pronounced.

6. Collapse Details
    Hi Jerry!
    You can allways see the scene file name if you press the DISP/MODE CHK button.
    Aje

7. Collapse Details
    I would assign the DRS to a User Button. But that is just me.

Best,

jan
    Jan Crittenden Livingston
    Panasonic System Communications Corporation
    Partner Sales Manager, NY and NJ

8. Collapse Details
    The "DRS ON/OFF" and the "SCENE FILE NAME" displays happen to occupy the exact same section of the screen, so yes, when DRS changes status its message takes priority. That's not a bug, as Jan said, it's a prioritized warning (i.e., it's a lot more important for you to know that DRS just turned on or off, than it is to know the name of the scene file). However, you can always display the name of the scene file anyway in a different section of the screen. If you set "other display" to "all", the scene file will be displayed in the upper right corner of the screen.

In other words, have your cake and eat it too...

9. Collapse Details
    BINGO!! Jan is 100% correct. That is exactly the right procedure-assigning a user button. DRS is only a tool. It should NOT be utilized as a GAIN function but rather to smooth out shadowy areas.

But that is just me.

Best,
    Panasonic AG AC-130, Canon XA20
    (Formely the Canon Xf-100 XF-300) SONY CX-150 GoPro HD-2 and Canon Hf S30.