Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
    It also is not even clear to me that the Pearstone people know what "transformer" means. It seems likely that their copy-writers grew up thinking that "transformers" were some magical mechanical creations that could turn a semi-truck into a 100 foot tall robot monster. Or maybe they think that "transformer" means some cable that "transforms" one connector type into a different one (i.e. what we used to call "adapters")
    I thought a transformer was the thing in my neighborhood that explodes every time a squirrel jumps on it...

Honestly, though, I'm with Richard in that the cable is the likely culprit... but I would love to know if the mic sounds better through an XLR-capable device.

If you don't trust your own skills to examine and rewire the XLR connector as Richard suggests, you might call a company like Markertek that is staffed with folks who make custom cables and know what they're doing when they do. Otherwise, get a box. It's going to cost more than the cable, but it's going to save you some headaches.
    Formerly known as C2V
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

2. Collapse Details
    If it were me, I'd return the H1 and all the adapter cables and get a recorder with an XLR input with that money. I don't know of any audio shops in your area, otherwise I'd recommend you go into a pro audio dealer to get help.
    David Fisk
    Sales Manager
    K-Tek/M. Klemme Technology Corp.
    dave@ktekbooms.com

3. Collapse Details
    The other option is to return the cable and the Azden mic and get a RØDE VideoMic Pro. At least that one's wired for 1/8" TRS output to devices like the H1. It's going to sound better than the Azden, and it will play nice with the H1.
    Formerly known as C2V

4. Collapse Details
    yeah but im afraid I cant do that since I blew the buget on an XLR cable, Zoom h1 and this mic. Im gonna have to make due with what I got. Sad part is i cant afford anything else. I may just have to use the other cable I have and do what he told me to do with it. Hopefully I do this right. BTW it was a review on B&H about this cable. A guy says it worked great with his zoom h1 SMH (shake my head). Thanks for all the help guys. I knew I should have got the freakin rode...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    The other option is to return the cable and the Azden mic and get a RØDE VideoMic Pro. At least that one's wired for 1/8" TRS output to devices like the H1. It's going to sound better than the Azden, and it will play nice with the H1.

5. Collapse Details
    one more thing. The mic does work without AGC being on. Guess why i didnt think it was working. Because I had to yell in the freakin thing for the audio levels to move -_-. So yes i believe it is the cable.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kenazure24 View Post
    one more thing. The mic does work without AGC being on. Guess why i didnt think it was working. Because I had to yell in the freakin thing for the audio levels to move -_-. So yes i believe it is the cable.
    Well, skepticism of Pearstone's wiring scheme notwithstanding, and considering that there are other reviews of using this cable with a shotgun mic and an H1, it's also possible that you got a defective cable... in which case there should be some sort of warranty coverage to have it replaced.
    Formerly known as C2V

7. Collapse Details
    Ha ha 2 defective cables in a row? neither of the cables I have work right. The first one sounds terrible....the second one sounds better but still is not up to par with what I hear from other peoples videos. But Specifically this video in the link below. This guy seems to have the same problem, but I guess he didnt care. He actually made a short with this crappy sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpzt-_WaYN8

Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    Well, skepticism of Pearstone's wiring scheme notwithstanding, and considering that there are other reviews of using this cable with a shotgun mic and an H1, it's also possible that you got a defective cable... in which case there should be some sort of warranty coverage to have it replaced.

8. Collapse Details
    Well, if worse comes to worse, Although I'm not a huge fan of them, there are three Guitar Centers in Detroit, one of which I'm sure could get you up and running properly with the right cable for $10-$15 bucks. Just take your stuff in there and tell them you want to hear it working before you buy their cable. That way, you're not throwing good money after bad and hopefully you can get your problem fixed on the spot, and before Saturday. Good luck dude.
    Kit Hannah
    kithannah@gmail.com
    Sony Nex-7 w/ Multiple Sony E Lenses & Minolta MD Rokkor-X Lenses, 3x RPS Studio 15x15 Softboxes w/ Flos, Cool Lights LED600 fixtures, various hot lights, Tascam Recorder, Audio Technica & Sennheiser Mics, Sony Headphones, Sony Vegas, Sony Laptop. My camera, audio and editing station all fit into a backpack.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
    Another reason I would rather make my own cables than to play games with clueless mass-market manufacturers and retailers.
    A-men, brother. Been custom building my cables for years.

10. Collapse Details
    Dude i think I found a solution lol. I just thought about guitar center too....I found a cable made by Shure thats 60 bucks -_-. This could be it! ill give u guys an update when it comes in the mail tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Hannah View Post
    Well, if worse comes to worse, Although I'm not a huge fan of them, there are three Guitar Centers in Detroit, one of which I'm sure could get you up and running properly with the right cable for $10-$15 bucks. Just take your stuff in there and tell them you want to hear it working before you buy their cable. That way, you're not throwing good money after bad and hopefully you can get your problem fixed on the spot, and before Saturday. Good luck dude.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast