1. Collapse Details
    best Photoshop file format for animating and compositing photos in a doc-film???
    I'm making a documentary film that will use many animated composited photos as in the doc-film "Cocaine Cowboys".

Can anyone tell me what format the stills should be in for compositing in Final Cut Pro 7??? TIF? PSD? PNG?
    Or should I instead be using After Effects for animated composited still work. I just figured FCP7 because that's what I'm editing my project in.

I'm just unsure which still format to use. I just now that I'll need transparency, alpha channels, etc.

Also I'll be scanning a lot of photos for this film from the National Archives. What format is best to scan in? I'll be doing a lot of Ken Burns type animated moves on stills too.

Thanks very much in advance for any tips, help.

2. Collapse Details
    Here's some information, you can judge for yourself.

http://vfxhaiku.com/2010/01/in-depth...-file-formats/

3. Collapse Details
    I really prefer after effects for anything like this - FCP just doesn't have the control, easing of motion is non-intuitive, and stills often just seem a little choppy. With AE you can use the 3D camera for motion - even if you don't do a lot of parallax stuff, there are subtleties to motion with the camera that are gorgeous, even if you're subtle with it.

Format is not that big a deal - use something not visibly compressed that the software likes. TIFF, PNG, Photoshop ( for AE at least)

Scan things 3, 4, 10 times the size you think you'll need. Reduce in PS to close-to the max size you'll want and keep big copies. You never know when you want to crop something. Or someone will want an image for a poster or print ad.

Tiff is a great format. PNGs seem to take forever to save, but they do transparency beautifully. Skip JPEG.