Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    Just a little update - the Ninja arrived and I did a quick and dirty test.
    From what I can see in the moment, there is a bigger difference between the AVCHD and the Ninja, than between the AVCHD and the uncompressed Shuttle.

I have no idea what´s going on here. If I transcode the uncompressed Shuttle material to Cineform, the HDLink says "upresing to 4:2:2" - WTF?
    Maybe the shuttle records in 4:2:0 - who knows?

Can someone here please confirm that, just as a sanity check?
    Frank
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

2. Collapse Details
    Frank, it should be fairly easy to tell 4:2:2 from 4:2:0 - pick a solid and intensive color (like a red flower) and look at its edges (best if against some other primary color background, like Green). If the edge is jagged both horizontally and vertically, it's 4:2:0; the 4:2:2 picture doesn't have horizontal jaggies on vertical edges!
    Piotr Wozniacki
    -----------------
    Gear [ALL VIDEO HARDWARE IS FOR SALE]

Sony EX1 with Letus Elite, FS100EK with NanoFlash, , Canon FD glass, RedRock microMatteBox, FF & Supports, Marshall LCD70XP monitor
    Vegas Pro on W7 x64, i7 2600K, 16GB RAM, GTX 580 3GB, 2xRAID0, 24" LCD, 50" plasma HDTV

Specialty
    live classical music events - www.castellogt.pl

3. Collapse Details
    Right Piotr, I look at it later - I have an edit to get done instead of playing with my new toys - Grrrrr!

But from a first glance, yeah it looks much more like the pics on that Prepost site.
    Which is a good thing, cause it means I can squeeze out more quality with the Samurai, and a bad thing, cause my confidence in BM is sinking.

Frank

4. Collapse Details
    Frank,

This is very interesting with the Ninja vs Shuttle. Some kind of demonstration would be super useful here!

When I set the output for the FS100 it seems the shuttle doesn't like 1080p, it has to be set to 1080i/720p but then it's supposed to negotiate the highest connection. I do wonder whether this is happening, there's a chance that perhaps the shuttle is negotiating the wrong connection. What's your FS100 set to on the HDMI output and what frame rate are you recording?

You should ask David about the cineform message - under what circumstances would it say that on import, perhaps it's a dumb assumption or perhaps they can tell that it's not real 4:2:2

You can see that the shuttle footage does have a different noise pattern, although Dustin mentions the iframe MPEG compression affecting it but with the shuttle it's fully uncompressed. You can also see the AVC fixing some things too, some edges look different for example. I do wonder whether this implementation of AVC is so well tied to the sensor characteristics that it is also cleaning the image as it goes through...

I really look forward to some sample frames, can you record on both? the Shuttle has HDMI out as well (although if it's negotiating incorrectly i would rather have the Ninja first in the pipeline)

thanks
    Paul

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Postmaster View Post
    Right Piotr, I look at it later - I have an edit to get done instead of playing with my new toys - Grrrrr!

But from a first glance, yeah it looks much more like the pics on that Prepost site.
    Which is a good thing, cause it means I can squeeze out more quality with the Samurai, and a bad thing, cause my confidence in BM is sinking.

Frank
    Quick finish the real work and get back to playing (i assume you're prepping for your feature?)

I would love to see some examples here, i was talking to someone at BM support the other day. I would like to point them to this thread once we've got something tangible.

cheers
    Paul

6. Collapse Details
    And once again they have done the dreaded interlace mistake. Their software has deinterlaced the AVCHD material causing jaggies. Just click those files and interprete them to progressive (Premiere) or click their interlace flags to none (final cut) to get rid of them. This is because AVCHD files are actually flagged as interlaced eventhough they are progressive. When you create prores files they are automatically flagged as progressive.

This comparison is thus moot. Postmasters comparison looks more correct.

Funny how something so simple will cause three pages of debate. Nothing to do with compression.
    Last edited by maarek; 02-08-2012 at 05:37 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maarek View Post
    And once again they have done the dreaded interlace mistake. Their software has deinterlaced the AVCHD material causing jaggies. Just click those files and interprete them to progressive (Premiere) or click their interlace flags to none (final cut) to get rid of them. This is because AVCHD files are actually flagged as interlaced eventhough they are progressive. When you create prores files they are automatically flagged as progressive.

Funny how something so simple will cause three pages of debate. Nothing to do with compression.
    hahahahaha...
    you can fool some of the people some of the time....LOL..and some people get fooled soooo easily

8. Collapse Details
    Okay, here is a little update.

AVCHD vs. Ninja

I found out, that the FS100 seems to apply a color noise filter, before writing to the card, the HDMI signal is unfiltered.
    So I darkened the room a bit (shutters) to provoke noise and recorded at 18/9 and 0 db gain.
    In the right picture I added a color noise filter.

This is the 18db sample:

18db.jpg

Tiff download for all 3 gain settings here: http://www.file-upload.net/download-...sktop.rar.html

9. Collapse Details
    If you look at the 400% crop, the Ninja + color noise filter is definitely a step forward.

Crop.jpg

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maarek View Post

I did mention several times i think they'd done something with the AVCHD, i never knew it was flagged as being interlaced at source, i thought AVCHD had moved on from that and supported progressive properly (the older AVC didn't). Certainly FCPX flags them as progressive...

Regardless of that, the thread has had it's effect and we've been looking at the real world differences between AVCHD and other captures, which can make a sizeable difference to post workflow and also in quality too. There's no debate here, just an attempt at finding answers

cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by paulcurtis; 02-08-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast