Thread: T3i armor?

1. Collapse Details
    T3i armor?
    I picked up a T3i after shooting a wedding using a friends T2i I was very intrigued about the capability of this camera especially after I tossed Magic Lantern on it. However no ever handling a T3i prior to ordering I had no idea how flimsy and fragile this thing was going to feel. I was thinking about buying a skin on it just to try and make a minimal improvement to it... this one caught my eye after using my other buddy's T2i with the intrusive MADE brand that covered all the ports and made changing the lens an absolute pain in the @$$. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Defensive.html

Anyone ever use one of these or have any other suggestions on how to protect the camera a little bit better... I know looking at this thing that when I get my battery grip next month I'm going to have to do some razor blade surgery on the skin.

2. Collapse Details
    It doesn't need any protection. Ive used mine for a year in blizzads, rain, dust and dropped in the dirt a number of times. The LCD has fogged up twice inside and after an hour or so indoors it dissapears and works perfectly.

Not suggesting you try any of this with yours, but for the type of work I've been using it for it's been an incredibly tough cam.

I'd like to know what you consider flimsy on it?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by c3hammer View Post
    It doesn't need any protection. Ive used mine for a year in blizzads, rain, dust and dropped in the dirt a number of times. The LCD has fogged up twice inside and after an hour or so indoors it dissapears and works perfectly.

Not suggesting you try any of this with yours, but for the type of work I've been using it for it's been an incredibly tough cam.

I'd like to know what you consider flimsy on it?
    I hope not to try any of that haha but it's good to know. I just feel like the plastic feels really thin, like if I were to drop it it could crack or something. Mind you I need to trim my nails (i.e. bite them off haha) but my finger nails seem to blemish the plastic if they scrape across it. I know my old Sony A100 wasn't anything of the sort like the Canon T3i, but my old A100 had a very durable plastic and a lot of it had that soft rubber grippy coating on it. I guess it will just take a bit for me to get used to.

4. Collapse Details
    I would rather spend money for a battery grip. It makes it much more easier to hold the camera, also doubling the run time... and the flexibility of using AA batterires.

5. Collapse Details
    I have dropped my T2i a couple times with only cosmetic issues. Also the body armor might effect the temperature during hot shoots. I second the grip unless you are going to be extremely rough or let a 5 year old use it.

6. Collapse Details
    It's a pain if you are hand holding it, but if you're mounting to a tripod, stabilizer, jib.... etc. then a dslr cage is a good choice. I use mine in a JAG cage I picked up for cheap and it's protected it from several tumbles.

2012-01-11_17-33-53_849.jpg

7. Collapse Details
    i just put some gaff tape on various parts of the camera, mainly the bottom and on the right side which helps with the grip and protecting against scratches.