1. Collapse Details
    Canon XF100 vs Canon XA10
    Hi,

I'm looking to get a pro camcorder and at first was drawn to the Canon XF100. But as I was reading the reviews some people were mentioning that it had noise issues in low light when upping the gain. So it wasn't that great in terms of low light performance. The other camera I'm looking at is the Canon XA10 and it seems it is a good low light performer which is one of the main things that is important to me - good low light performance.

So I was wondering if the low light performance of the Canon XF100 is a real concern and also how does it compare to the Canon XA10? Is the $1000+ of the Canon XF100 worth it over the Canon XA10?

Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    IMO the $1000 is worth it, double the bitrate
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

3. Collapse Details
    I agree with J Davis. I have been researching the XF100 myself. I have an HFS 200 and love the footage I am able to get, but would love the codec of the XF as well as being able to adjust all the picture parameters infinitely, overcrank and undercrank, more manual controls, etc. On the low light issue...I read a review where the reviewer showed that when you first turn on the XF 100 it's NR is set to auto, so even in normal light it appears grainy. He then said you can go into a set up menu and select a custom NR setting. He showed grabs from each setting and indeed the custom setting was way cleaner. The sensor is the same in each camera and the lens is the same or very similar so the low light should be equal....if not better with the XF after being able to adjust certain parameters that can't be set on the XA 10

4. Collapse Details
    Could you please comment on auto-focus of Canon XF100. The review at http://philipbloom.net/2011/07/09/vi...100-and-xf105/ states that it has a problem with auto-focus.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by directr View Post
    Could you please comment on auto-focus of Canon XF100. The review at http://philipbloom.net/2011/07/09/vi...100-and-xf105/ states that it has a problem with auto-focus.
    Auto focus is actually very good. I don't use it often because I prefer manual focusing everything, but sometimes it is extremely useful - especially used in conjunction with facial tracking on a subject that is walking for moving around the frame. The only time I make sure to avoid autofocus is when I'm zooming into or out of a subject - it has the tendency to constantly want to adjust and confirm it's focus.

6. Collapse Details
    Cow, did you pick up the xf100?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dustylense View Post
    Cow, did you pick up the xf100?
    I did! I miss the 300 already, but it's very clear to me that the small form factor is very useful for going places the XF300 couldn't go. This camera will see a lot of use in the future - already got it booked on 11 episodes of a travel/adventure show and a documentary in Central America!

I love the IQ I'm getting out of it, too - for it's size, truly remarkable!

8. Collapse Details
    I agree. Considering it's size it's quite the powerhouse! You can film and hardly get noticed by the public. I spent a week in hawaii on a stills shoot and did some video on my free time and not a single person ever took a negative notice of my presence. Hope you get your c300 soon.

9. Collapse Details
    So how is low light performance with the XF100 guys? Usable in most situations (I live in Central America and street lights/home illumination leave much to be desired).

10. Collapse Details