Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Erik,

Nice footage. I use a 250 and I like it. I am still learning the camera. I am curious as to what format you shot the promo in and what camera settings you used if you would not mind sharing the info.

Sincerely,
    Bill

2. Collapse Details
    To be fair, Erik could shoot a promo with any camera and it would come out looking fantastic.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Matt!

4. Collapse Details

Shot with Panasonic hpx370

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Naso View Post
    I just finished this promo yesterday and I can't complain about the 370.
    Erik: Were all parts of this promo shot on the 370 or is it mixed with Varicam footage? The Olympic moments almost look too good!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by EDV View Post
    Erik: Were all parts of this promo shot on the 370 or is it mixed with Varicam footage? The Olympic moments almost look too good!
    The primary camera used for shooting our talent was the Panasonic HPX-370. The tail shot is a Panasonic AF-100 with the awesome Voigtlander 25mm.
    I used a GH2 for the time lapse shots.
    Normally I would shoot with the AF-100 but I wanted more snappy lens action for this spot so I opted for the HPX-370.
    Color grading with Magic Bullet Colorista II and Magic Bullet Looks.

The Olympic footage came from NBC.
    Last edited by Erik Naso; 05-08-2013 at 09:38 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    The HPX-370 is to me an upgrade to the HPX-250 w/ better lens and shoulder mount capability. 1080p CMOS sharpness definitely is there. But there's very few "richness" to the picture when intercutting w/ other 2/3" cams such as the HPX-3100 & HPX3700. Richness is the extra colors popping out and pristine clarity only exist when a real HD lens with triple CCDs w/ 12-position independent color matrix control are used. In other words, you can see fine detail of the heat waves, subtle misty water vapors and all other very fine details that the HPX-370 can't capture. Most of the times they do look similar because of the sharpness. But majority of the times, 2/3" HPX2000-3000 series (excluding the entry level HPX-500&600) camcorder kicks **** the HPX-370 & HPX-250 out of its league easily. Complete functioning 2/3" body at ~$30K is a considerable amount of $$$ for any cam these days. A new HD lens will be another $30K-95K. So average of $65K-70K total per camera is a considerable expense to get that extra 10-15% of quality fr the rest of the under $15K camcorder (body & lens). Most common practice for most budget-conscious network producers is to have the main cam & EFP 2/3" lens to be of the best possible money can buy while 2nd camera and beyond with a cheaper HPX-250 or HPX-370.
    Last edited by lonewolf2koc@hotmail.com; 06-15-2013 at 03:59 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Bought 2 HPX 300's with stock and Fuginon Th13x3.5BRMU lenses for final two seasons of "Good Eats" with Alton Brown for Food Network.
    Used the camera in seasons 13 & 14 plus 3 one hours specials before Alton retired the series. Still available on Cooking Channel.
    Switched over to HD in season 9 and used Varicam 27F & 27H before switching/buying to HPX 300 due to budget cuts at network.
    Quite a bit of the shooting was on Alien Revolution "Steadicam" rig so both cameras were modded with Panasonic's blessing to allow removal of top handle and viewfinder.
    Usually had no time for post color correction so I used a Panasonic Video AJ-RC10G Remote Control Unit through a 164ft (50 meter) control cable to tweak setting on the fly. Also had a full Preston wireless FF/Iris/Zoom config as the shots would move from extreme CU to extreme wide.
    Due to network rules at the time we did not record in camera but used a 1200a deck for tape masters and backed up using a Panasonic AG-HPG20P P2 HD/SD Reader/Recorder.
    Since the show is no longer in production I have decided to sell all this gear but it treated me well.
    Here is a shot of the rig we used for much of the shooting.
    SM01.jpg
    Here are the last episodes from season 13/14 and the specials.:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBF92C46180066536
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0E92A681A3A908F8

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by BillinSC View Post
    Erik,

Nice footage. I use a 250 and I like it. I am still learning the camera. I am curious as to what format you shot the promo in and what camera settings you used if you would not mind sharing the info.

Sincerely,
    Bill
    probably Erik slips out this post
    or no?

i'm nosy, too
    "Considerate la vostra semenza:
    fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
    ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza".

"Consider ye the seed from which ye sprang;
    Ye were not made to live like unto brutes,
    But for pursuit of virtue and of knowledge."

Dante