Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    HPX370 in broadcast use
    At first, I was skeptical about my HPX370, but I have noticed it being used in broadcast shooting, mainly local news stations. I have also seen it used on some reality TV shows, such as Operation Repo, alongside the newer HPX3100's. I have used the HPX370 alongside my friends HPX3700 Varicam on two camera TV shows as well, (we matched them up by tweaking the same scene file a little bit beforehand) with great results.

I use the 370 for most of my broadcast, corporate and web work. I am progressing to more two-camera shoots, and might add a 2nd camera, either an HPX3100, or the HPX3700 within a year or so, but we will see. I will be shooting and editing a weekly newsmagazine shoot very soon, I am planning on adding a 1/3 inch wide angle lens to my rig. It will work fine for the start of the show, which will be 3 minute segments on another show, but it will eventually turn into a full 30 minute show, so I might move up to a 2/3" P2 rig with a wide angle.

I used to use Sony Betacams, but I am really getting into the P2 workflow.

Who else out here is using the 370 as a main camera for broadcast TV work?

2. Collapse Details
    The 370 is considered a good news camera. However, you will not find in in the studio or used in production work at the O&O or network level. It is good for local stations on a budget.

3. Collapse Details
    I have actually come across some network level O&O's that use the HPX300. FOX Sports Southwest, all their staff photogs have HPX300's. Also, reality shows such as Operation Repo uses the HPX370, so I have actually seen it being used.

4. Collapse Details
    I believe the HPX370 and the HPX250 will also be shooting the Summer Olympics with NBC.

5. Collapse Details
    I have used my 301 and 371 on all sorts of broadcast material from news to features and sport in HD and SD, I have also done indie productions and commercials for the cinema.
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

6. Collapse Details
    Cool! Despite some factors, I think that the 370 is a great camera for the money. Gary, so you use a 301 and a 370? I am assuming that you do a fair share of two camera stuff or have another camera and shooter if you are double-booked?

I am looking into doing this in the future, and was thinking that the HPX3100 would be a good camera to pair up with the 370, I have had pretty good luck matching scene files between the 3700 and the 370 for two-camera shoots. Has this been working well for you?

7. Collapse Details
    Yes the 3100 and 370 will make a good combo as they both share the same body form and will grade well together as they have similar pixel count sensors.

At times it's hard to tell the 3100, 3700 and 370 shots apart on the edit monitors.
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

8. Collapse Details
    We currently use the HVX200 for all of our shoots. We are a local origination station and we record football, wrestling, basketball, parades, etc. I'm looking at purchasing two new cameras for our production truck and I'm not sure if the 250 or the 370 would be a good fit. I've read info about the 370 having problems in lower light or fast moving sports with blurry video. Any suggestions from anyone using either or both of these cameras?

Thanks for your help!
    Larry

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by larryz22 View Post
    We currently use the HVX200 for all of our shoots. We are a local origination station and we record football, wrestling, basketball, parades, etc. I'm looking at purchasing two new cameras for our production truck and I'm not sure if the 250 or the 370 would be a good fit. I've read info about the 370 having problems in lower light or fast moving sports with blurry video. Any suggestions from anyone using either or both of these cameras?

Thanks for your help!
    Larry
    In my experience, the 370 doesn't really have problems in low light, it just has a typical S/N ratio for a 1/3" cam. The problem is that most 1/3" cameras typically don't have a 10-bit 100mbps codec that does a wonderful job of rendering the noise floor instead of smoothing it over with compression. The 370 also has the same amount of skew as any other CMOS-chip camera, and is supposedly better in 720p mode than the Sony EX1/3.

The 370 may have problems with motion if you have the noise reduction filter active; but set a high frame rate + shutter speed and motion looks very good. This camera shoots really crisp and noise-free 720p, but 1080p isn't quite as good-looking IMO, which is kinda odd since this is a 1080p native camera.

Another camera to look at in this price range is the PMW-320K; it costs a bit more, but it will also likely be better "out of the box". It took me a lot of tinkering and setting up and getting to know the camera before I got what I wanted out of the 370.
    Last edited by Kolor-Pikker; 06-13-2012 at 04:02 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    I just finished this promo yesterday and I can't complain about the 370. I prefer a large sensor camera but if your going for a ENG look the 370 is great. The camera is very sensitive but can get noise if you gain up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast