Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Just for fun...I shot my laptop with my EX-3. When my color balance was set to 5600 colors looked better to me compared to when I had a 3200 color temp dialed in.

I still had plenty of room to play with exposure when using the first neutral density filter as opposed to the clear one. I guess it's just my preference and not a "must do" for the exposure side of the equation.

One of my pet peeves has always been seeing wide shots of rooms or offices and having everything else look color correct except for the television or computer screen in the frame which end up with a blueish, slightly washed out tint.

FWIW...Many times with computer screens I will pull up a blank page from a Word type program to use for white balance. It seems to get me the best color temp reading directly off the screen.

For television sets with normal programing I'm stuck with using my preset 5600K as a default. Shot a bunch of election coverage down here in Florida last week for a client at a watch party filled with tungsten light and with lots of TV screens scattered around. The wide shots weren't too bad but...noticeably prettier in the tight shots of the screens when I adjusted the color balance closer to daylight setting.

2. Collapse Details
    John,

We are in total agreement on the white balance issue. I have the same complaints about mis-matching color temperatures and use similar techniques for getting things looking correct on monitors.
    I'll bet I do something you don't do. I carry a thumb drive with me with a bunch of generic JPEG bar graphs, charts, graphics etc. that I can plug into someone's computer and then call up a screen of my choosing. You don't want to be able to read what's on it, but you can get a sense for what is there and it looks better than an empty desktop with icons.

3. Collapse Details
    Brilliant Doug!

I'm going to "borrow" that idea from you...it makes so much sense!
    You've put the bug in my head about making sure I don't automatically assume something about a technique just because it's what I used to do with a Betacam. Your patience and advice make me better at what I love to do. Not to mention your willingness to share ideas and help those of us who are earlier on the learning curve than yourself.

Want to make sure you know it's appreciated and not ignored, sir! ;)

4. Collapse Details
    John, thanks for the comments -- but don't call me sir!!

5. Collapse Details
    It would also make sense to build in the color temp you desire into those screen images. That way you can offset the D65 color you are seeing from the monitor color and make it 3200k or whatever you're balancing to. Actually, it would make sense to make multiple sets of screen images with different color temps and load the one closest to the ambient room color temp.
    FCP 7.0, PP 6, MacPro Octo 2.8, MBPro, EX1, MXO2, Sachtler FSB6

6. Collapse Details
    That's exactly what I have done.

7. Collapse Details
    To followup on Klaas' suggestion, if the moire is caused by the pixelpattern of your laptop monitor it's possible changing the screen resolution on the laptop might help.

To get better colour rendition, try adjusting your picture profile settings.

8. Collapse Details
    you do not need to install anything on the laptop, there is probably already a screen sharing utility (netmeeting on XP, terminal server on vista, win7).
    Any IT has a way to do remote support, so just ask them.
    So you just need to share the screen of this laptop on another PC and capture the remote window.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12