Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian@202020 View Post
    How are the Samurai and Ninja less expensive?
    Arnie said that "the next cheapest DTE solution will probably cost two or three times the $700 that the Shuttle will cost you."

I was was stating that both the Ninja and Samurai are less expensive that two or three times the cost of the Shuttle+SSD+Calibrated license.

If the Shuttle could provide a compressed codec that I could use directly out of the box, ie pro res, it would be ideal for me.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

2. Collapse Details
    The Ninja costs $1k without a drive. Which is certainly much more than $700 (if my math is correct). Now add a drive (and batteries, and other accessories). How much have you spent? Is it less than $700? Probably not. Is it less than $1400? Maybe, so you win. Except that it's still waaaay more than $700. Close to double, in fact.

If you don't like the Shuttle, or don't want to work with uncompressed or DNxHD, then don't use the Shuttle. But you will spend more. If my math is correct.
    Post production is not an afterthought!
    www.arniepix.com

3. Collapse Details
    Ok, back on topic. my question is, can the mac version of Avid Media Composer 6 read the clips? If so, I think I found a 30 day work around for $10. Download the free 30 day trial of Media Composer, Import the footage, export an XML, Convert the XML with the $10 7toX app, import the XML into FCPX. This should work right?

4. Collapse Details
    I'm just expressing my opinion on the Shuttle in its present iteration.

My hope is that BM eventually provides a pro res option. I didn't expect to see a DNxHD option, so my interest has piqued.

It's not a question whether I like it or not, but whether it serves my workflow; hence my comments.

I actually believe it's a fantastic device, well priced, and convenient.

And if BM adds a acquisition codec I can use, then it's a bargain at $345.00 plus SSD.

I also hope that a DNxHD to pro res converter emerges using existing Mac software.

I've tested just about every converter I own, and tried someone low cost demo converters. As has Brian.

I've tried at least a dozen workflows using everything from ClipWrap to the plethora of Mac App Store converters out there.

Will keep trying.
    David S.

Accept No Imitations.
    www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
    and...
    www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
    Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

5. Collapse Details
    As they say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
    The Shuttle is a givaway, a game changer.
    Prior to the Shuttle, the next best SDI solid state recorder was the yet to be released Samurai.

6. Collapse Details
    Our company, Omega Broadcast Group, will be releasing a software in March that addresses the issue of working with Blackmagic HyperDeck .mxf DHxHD files directly.

You can contact me, Allan Barnwell, if you have any questions. Price is $149 - but we are offering it for $99 for those who put down a $10 deposit before the March release.

You can contact me through our website at www.omegabroadcast.com

7. Collapse Details
    One day after my previous post, Blackmagic has now announced a firmware update for generating DNxHD in MOV files. So there is no need to use our product for this workflow. Just go download the 2.5 beta 1 firmware at the Blackmagic website. (and if you need to purchase the hardware - visit our website).

But if you still have a need to access mxf-wrapped DNxHD, please contact me directly (Allan Barnwell) through our website at www.omegabroadcast.com

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the info ABarnwell!

Now a new problem. I just downloaded the new 2.5 beta firmware for my Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 that now records DNxHD.mov files, and have been doing tests for several hours now to come up with a good workflow. I will have to do a few jobs with HDMI while I wait for my custom mini SDI to SDI cables to be made, so I am investigating decent pulldown removal workflows. With my AF100 you can not get 24Psf signal out the HDMI, so pulldown removal is needed. Anyway all the routes I've tried so far seem to work, but unfortunately change the gamma of the original footage. I've tried Compressor 4, both to DNxHD and ProRes, I've tried JES Deinterlacer, and the "remove pulldown" option in FCPX is grayed out. Preferably Id's like a solution that will batch and won't transcode, just remove the pulldown, but I'll take what I can get. Any suggestions?

9. Collapse Details
    You can try brorsoft mxf converter for mac. I often convert my mxf files to prores and QT format with it and always get the satisfying results. It is easy-to-use and intuitive. Besides, the converted files are great without loss of quality. You can google and download the demo version of it. I hope it will be useful to you.

10. Collapse Details
    Hi,

I was having trouble using compressed video files from the Hyperdeck Shuttle II and view them on my mac.
    Uncompressed was working, but compressed output was not.
    In the end, I finally managed to get it to work with ffmpeg.
    Here is a write up on how I did this:
    Definitive Guide to using Hyperdeck Shuttle II on Mac OSX.

Bram

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast