1. Collapse Details
    Trying to use the XL2 Lens on a Canon Rebel T2i
    Thumbs up
    So basically I am trying to see if anyone knows of a converter or something that I can use to get my Canon XL2 20x zoom lens to work on the body of a Canon Rebel T2i. Now I have been told that this is not possible and that Canon does not make a converter. I am just trying to exhaust my resources to be 100% sure that this is so. Thank you very much

Cheers!

2. Collapse Details
    The XL2 lens is designed for 1/3" sensor and will probably only cover a small fraction of the T2i's sensor.

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah, even if you got them to mount then you'd only have a little circle image in the middle of the T2i. Even with the zoom feature (of the T3i) it would be of no use.

4. Collapse Details
    Right I know you cant just put the lens on the rebel body you need some kind of converter of some sort. I think Vivitar makes something like it only going the other way. SLR lens to XL2 body. I wish Canon would make a lens converter that would work.

5. Collapse Details
    SLR to XL2 body works because the SLR lens projects an image circle much bigger than the XL2's sensor, hence the 7.2x crop factor.

For it to go the other way, XL2 lens on T2i body, the image circle would be too small and you'd see massive black vignetting around the image. The only way around this would be to use some sort of magnification between the lens and the body, but then you'll end up degrading the optics in light transmission, sharpness, aberrations, as well as probably altering the focal length.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Articl...stills-001.jpg
    In that image, the XL2 is the small dark yellow rectangle, whereas the T2i is the teal/green rectangle. A lens designed to cover that's small 1/3" sensor area would be practically useless on an APS-C sized sensor.

6. Collapse Details
    Wow! Thank you very much Qazwsx for that very detailed and informative answer.