Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My New Speed Crane
    As you have seen in my previous thread i can make a decent camera crane. There were a few things i didnt like about it. Im starting this thread to test the waters about a new design im working on (well the design is pretty well done) its just needs to be built. Im waiting on some new machining tools.

I was approached by a friend of mine looking for a crane to use at wedding shoots. A very common place where a crane can be a great asset but harder to put into practice. He noted all the issues with cranes he had used in the past, things like:

- too many pieces
    - takes up too much space
    - too heavy
    - too loud when setting up
    - too clumsy to move around
    - take too long to set up
    - unreliable cable leveling systems

I set out to design a crane which eliminates or severely limits these problems - i dont have any pictures for you (yet) just because i want to keep the design to myself for now. I want to turn this into a production item.

First of all would you guys buy (ive had a hard time finding something like it on the market)

Second what would you pay (just a general idea) I estimate a $600-$800 price tag. Too much?

1 Piece
    Fits into an area 2 inches deep, 36inches long, and 6 inches tall.
    Boom length of 7.5 feet (from camera to tripod, not including lever)
    Weighs under 17 lbs.
    Setup in 20 seconds
    Extremely quiet
    Single boom design
    Very rigid

(Possible) camera vertical tilt

I haven't found a crane on the market with all of these attributes. If you guys have seen any please post them. I dont want to be building a product when there is no market for it.

So what do you guys think? If i build this will there be a market for it?

UPDATE

makin some parts!

422931_10151391038145455_563420454_23197610_1536791628_n.jpg
    431491_10151391039150455_563420454_23197613_122769975_n.jpg
    419671_10151391034125455_563420454_23197604_562749774_n.jpg
    Last edited by Jeremy_Sawatzky; 03-15-2012 at 10:46 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    The Jib arm that has my interest right now is the Libec JB-30 Jib Arm which costs about $1,900 at B&H Photo, weighs 22 pounds, sets up in 5 minutes, and is stable with camera packages up to 44 pounds.

If your jib was a kind of junior version of this jib at half the price, then I think you would have something.
    Cameras : Panasonic GH3 with Grip, Panasonic GH2, Panasonic HMC-150
    OIS Zoom : Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8, Lumix 35-100mm f/2.8

3. Collapse Details
    Im aiming for something that can be setup in mere seconds to be used in a run and gun situation. Im aiming for more the dslr crowd with camera configuration Rarely coming in over 10 lbs. My rig definitly wouldnt be able to hold 44lbs (while a redesigned model could with ease) hehe im actually quite pleased with my design. i cant wait for it to be built. The weight specified for the libec is either 46 or 22lbs depending on which site you go to. ??? My rig will come in under 10 lbs. which is key. I want the operator to be able to pack it down, run to the other side of whatever he may be shooting - a conference perhaps and reset the rig in mere seconds.

But seeing how the price for the libec is $1900 i appear to be in the right price range.

Anyone else have some thoughts to share?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy_Sawatzky View Post
    the weight specified for the libec is either 46 or 22lbs depending on which site you go to. ???
    I think the Libec weight difference is with and without counter-balance weights. ( I am pretty sure it does not ship with the metal barbell weights )

10 lbs would be enough for most DSLR camera packages, and provided your jib had smooth and steady movement it could be a winner.

...My other concern is that it is small enough to be used indoors in an average business / home sized room. ( i.e. 4-6 feet would be optimal )
    Cameras : Panasonic GH3 with Grip, Panasonic GH2, Panasonic HMC-150
    OIS Zoom : Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8, Lumix 35-100mm f/2.8

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details
    That's kind of what I've been working on (but shorter)...it's three pieces, but also allows for slides.
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-the-same-time!

7. Collapse Details
    nice job, keep it light ;-)

8. Collapse Details
    Bought some stock today, time to get workin on some of the smaller pieces
    Last edited by Jeremy_Sawatzky; 03-11-2012 at 10:26 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Construction has officially begun. - i will keep you guys updated as progress is made.

i will make some changes to my initial spec list though. -

it will be impossible to have the crane come in under 10lbs. i underestimated the lateral strength of the stock i was working with, so things have had to be beefed up Im now aiming for a finished weight around 15lbs

ive shortened the boom length by a foot to 7.5 feet. To make it more useable indoors. - of course different lengths of the crane can be built.

Packable demensions have changed abit. its now a couple inches taller and a couple inches shorter.

ive put my milling machine to good use over the last 2 days making sure everything is to exacting measurements. - more updates to follow

10. Collapse Details
    How's the project going? Have you had a chance to do some assembly yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast