See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Make sure you watch it in HD. Lens flare doesn't usually look like a reflection of what you're filming. In the first shot I can even make out the guy's head and glasses in the reflection.

2. Collapse Details
    I recently shot some night footage on the streets, stock lens and several Nikkors, the reflection was all over the place. It was worse in some shots than others, but hard to make any sense of, it may have to do with the angle of the incoming hotspot. When you look at the sensor it has the same green tint that these reflections have. I haven't figured out a workaround, other than to avoid pointing the camera at bright lights that move.

3. Collapse Details
    Same here. It just looks like plain old internal reflections of the lens elements inside the lens itself.
    FCP 7.0, PP 6, MacPro Octo 2.8, MBPro, EX1, MXO2, Sachtler FSB6

4. Collapse Details
    The internal lens elements should be coated. Isn't there an issue with the scarlet and the same kind of thing. From memory it was an interaction of the OLPF and the sensor, which would make sense in these cases too.

Easiest thing to do is to start a new trend, internal reflections are the new lens flare

cheers
    Paul

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the input, guys. Talked to my rental guy (who has a couple of these in inventory) who confirmed the sensor reflection and said it's there with pretty much any lens you use. He laughed at the fact that I'm so complainy about the camera and I guess he had a good point. He doesn't consider it a "problem" because the camera's target user is stepping up from the DSLR world which is used to crappy color, strange blocky artifacts, noise and moire -- something like this, which would be a deal breaker in the pro world, is a non-issue to users who are really mostly looking for shallow depth of field.

Shortcomings aside, I have to say we were all totally impressed with the camera's low light ability and overall picture quality. It doesn't hold up very well under heavy color correction (which is expected of an 8-bit color space) but if you bake in a look that's close to where you want to be, it puts DSLRs to shame.

6. Collapse Details
    Ugh - just had my first client freak out this week because of this camera and, to be honest, I'm ready to punt it toward the nearest dumpster. We volunteered to film something for a local nonprofit and thought it'd be cool to actually use the FS100 for a real project. The client (who knows nothing about video) commented repeatedly about the sensor reflections. The reflections were such a hinder to our project that the client (who, again, has never been involved in video production) requested we stop the shoot and get a different camera. That's serious.

We brought the little bit of footage we did capture back to the studio and were horrified. A window above the interviewee (and out of frame) caused a reflection that completely covered her face and upper body. You can't tell me this is normal or acceptable.

What is going on? Is there anything anyone can think of that would eliminate this - or at least improve it? Our RED ONE doesn't do this. Our 7D or 5D don't do this. My friend's AF100 doesn't do this. At this point I can not envision using this camera for a real client in a professional setting. Am I doing something wrong or is this an oversight that Sony hopes will be overshadowed to those so enamored by mere shallow depth of field?

We tried the stock lens with and without a light-sealed matte box with ND and a Hot Mirror (UV) - as well as some old Nikons in the same set up.

Help!

7. Collapse Details
    Were these multicoated filters? Brands?

8. Collapse Details
    Not sure but the reflections are there with and without the filters/matte box.

9. Collapse Details
    Gotcha. Wasn't sure from your description and was just trying to eliminate variables.

10. Collapse Details
    Hmmm, I've seen this on occasion, but I just filmed two entire days and didn't see it. We looked through all the footage and we aren't seeing reflections in anything actually. We used No ND filter, and a cheap EOS adapter. The lenses were tokina 11-16, Sigma 30, and Sigma 17-50 I think it was.

Not that I haven't seen the problem, but, I can see it while I am filming if it does it and I just reposition the camera some. Never saw it with my 7D. Did see it with my AF100.
    formerly know as grimepoch.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast